1930 Matchless 1000cc MX V twin

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
vrossi46
Deceased

1930 Matchless 1000cc MX V twin

Post by vrossi46 »

Good morning all. Does anyone have any information or know where I can obtain details relating to a 1930 Matchless MX side valve water cooled 1000cc V - twin engine (also, I am told, fitted to a Morgan 3-wheeler). Any info. such as access to or availability of a workshop manual, parts catalogue, engineering drawings etc. would be most welcome.
Thanks in anticipation.
Rob Harknett

Re: 1930 Matchless 1000cc MX V twin

Post by Rob Harknett »

I am not aware of any water cooled engines used on the model X which was 990 c c 1929. !930 motor cycle 990 v twin was X/2.
I understand Morgan used mod X and later X2 water cooled engines. You will probably need to refer to Morgan literature for these engines. However, I am sure you will be aware this book http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... .Neill.pdf
gives details of Matchless engines used for other margues. Info in the above book is brief, but does give some details of how the engines differ from those used on Matchless motor cycles. e.g. how the water cooled differs from the air cooled model X engine. So perhaps you could use the motor cycle parts list in conjunction with this info. However, other marques did not appear to use Matchless engines during the first year of introduction. So for 1930 Morgan you will note was mod X engine. 1930 motor cycle was mod X/2 So you will need to refer to 1929 mod X parts list. http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... s_List.pdf
I think you already know that, as I seem to recall answering this question in the past.
vrossi46
Deceased

Re: 1930 Matchless 1000cc MX V twin

Post by vrossi46 »

Many thanks Rob.