Trunion Ball

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
upperstoker

Trunion Ball

Post by upperstoker »

I have part stripped a Burman HP box from my 1937 Model 26 and the 3/8' dia trunion ball dropped out when taking off the kickstarter case. The ball at the end of the clutch push rod is is place but where does this larger trunion ball fit?
Any help will be much appriciated.
Rob Harknett

Re: Trunion Ball

Post by Rob Harknett »

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Tra ... Newnes.pdf
see paragraph " reassembly of foot control " care must be taken refitting the trunion ball etc etc.
upperstoker

Post by upperstoker »

Thanks Rob,

I have the trunion ball (part no: 99X) fitted on the inner lever and positioned correctly in the bell crank. I also have the clutch lever ball (part no: 67X) in place. But I still have a 3/8" dia ball which I am unsure where this item goes.

I have not been able to find the item on any of the diagrames/sectional drawings etc for the gear box and I have gone through the December 1936 Spare Parts List for Model "H" and cannot find a third ball listed. Do you think a later spare list might help me identify this item, if so where should I look to see if I can find one?

(The box is an Burman HP four speed foot change, fitted to a 1937 Model 26)
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I am not aware of any other parts lists. Except one rubber stamped 1937 update which I believe was just for prices of parts. The 1937 AJS parts list does not list 3 balls. Only two things I can think of. An extra ball lost in grease. Clutch thrust rod changed to two parts, with a ball between the two.
upperstoker

Post by upperstoker »

Thanks again Rob.

The extra ball is to large to be used as part of any clutch thrust rod changes so I to am begining to come to the same conclusion that it could be a rogue ball. It is the perfect size to fix in the casing hole that takes the pawl spring (part no: 193X) so may have been added to give extra pressure to an old spring.

I shall finish off the assemble without the rogue ball and try the gear box out.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Yes see what happens leaving out the ball that really has no place to fit.
Kick starters easy break teeth, often found with the first 1/3 broken off. If yours still has all its teeth, gently depress the starter until it engages. Other wise you could easily break off the first, then second until you only have 2/3 teeth left.