Tank panel configuration

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
sbrock

Tank panel configuration

Post by sbrock »

Hello, can someone please send me a correct picture of a tank panel arrangement for 1940 model 8 500. The one I have has two holes, on for lights and one for amp meter. Should there be a trouble light and a clock.
Thanks
Rob Harknett

Re: Tank panel configuration

Post by Rob Harknett »

For a mod 8. Top left Ammeter, top right Smiths 8 day clock or Smiths 8 day clock can be fitted here, inscribed, Blanking plate. Centre Inspection lamp. Bottom Lighting switch Plus of cause, the correct instrument panel. Only the coil ignition models had a trouble light, or ignition warning light, as we call it up here. The panel is different. It just has a small hole in the centre for the warning light. Magneto models like Mod 8 has a larger hole with raised lip all round the inspection lamp clips on to. This lamp removable to see, to do roadside repairs at night.
Ashampoo_Snap_2016.07.11_09h52m27s_001_.png
In this picture you can see the plate. The inspection light is un clipped, so you can see the panel fitting it clips on to. The panel is seen with the blanking plate. Clocks never lasted long before vibration wrecked them. The picture also shows, the panel will drop through the hole in the bottom of the tank. This enables the tank to be removed without unwiring the panel. If the panel wont go through you have a pre 1939 incorrect tank. With only two holes, sounds like you do not have an AJS panel, also maybe not an AJS tank. A lot of marques had similar panels to AJS Perhaps some only slightly different in size and shape.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sbrock

Post by sbrock »

Thanks Rob is there anyone supplying these panels?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have seen the panels over the years. Chap that was making them up here sadly passed away a few years ago. I think someone was making them in Au. Ask Dave Baker details at back of Jampot " overseas section reps "