1938 Silver Streak

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
stuart_munroe

Re: 1938 Silver Streak

Post by stuart_munroe »

I'm sure you're right - maybe over cautious!
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Better to know what's in store so you make the right decision and are happy, then join our happy little club. There will always be someone here to point you in right direction. Be it, local services you may require for parts etc. or technical questions answered. No one can know it all, but they will probably know someone that can help with a particular ????? All too often a person may rush in then discover their bike is not all it should be or what they were hoping for. So the joy turns to sorrow.
stuart_munroe

Post by stuart_munroe »

The serial number finishes 28SS and it was restored by John Underhill and has been ridden recently. To
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Stuart, was 28SS a typo for 26SS?

I have possibly seen the bike being discussed; I am not an expert on these but, if it is the same bike, I would have to question the following items if you expect the bike to be 100% correct for year (I cannot guarantee that any of my assessment is fully correct either):

Gearbox: a CP gearbox is a robust option and was fitted to the 500's and “T” models in 1938 but I believe an HP is correct for a 26SS of this year (the cultch operating mechanism was both exposed and then covered in 1938).

Speedo drive: Should this be taken from the front wheel?

Oil tank cap should be the AJS round type not pie crust.

Light switch in tank panel may not be correct, looks like a car type but this is difficult to see.

Tool box screws look too large (exhaust looks too high to be able to open the tool box, but this may be the camera angle).

Batter box strap looks like the later narrow type.

Period drawings show different silencer mounting bracket with clip as opposed to stud.

Magneto shield missing.

Headlamp brackets should probably be pressed strips not tube.

A clock would be a nice touch.

Levers and twist grip could be a more modern type, I believe the solid type may have still been in use in 1938.

None of the above are that major or stop the bike from operating and can be rectified, but I would advise doing some homework first to ensure you know if any deviations from standard are an issue to you or not.

Hopefully Rob will correct any inaccuracies.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Not seeing a picture it seems like wrong bits. have been spotted correct. 26 is probably the last 2 digits on the engine no. that followed 38/26. Having a correct engine no on the LH c case does not mean the rest of the engine or bike is also correct for SS bike. No mention on the finish, transfers and tank lining.
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

I presume its this one on ebay?

Its got a WD rear wheel and a 37 front wheel. Its got the wrong horn and mounting, but at least its roughly in the correct position. Tank lining doesn't look right either. ( The gearbox and rear wheel are good mods as it gives you a good gearbox and a better size rear chain). I know we're nit-picking, but he did ask ....and at that price it should be right!
Cheers Dave.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

keep looking
stuart_munroe

Post by stuart_munroe »

Thanks Rob - sound advice!