New From Australia

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
SimonJ

New From Australia

Post by SimonJ »

Hi
Thought I'd do a quick intro to say hello.
I live in a small country town in central NSW Australia.
I've always had a passion for old cars and bikes and have messed around with a few velocettes and plenty of old cars from 1928 to the 50's.
I've recently purchased a 1929 AJS which was sold to me as a M12 350cc but I suspect it's possibly a 250cc.
Can't find any engine numbers but the frame number appears to be 113780.
Bike is pretty much complete but not running. It has compression but no spark, no doubt due to the fact I found the magneto chain sitting in the bottom of the housing!
Anyway I'm about to go further down the page and post some questions about timing both the engine and magneto.
Not sure I will be able to contribute much here but I imagine I'll be asking a lot of questions.
Regards Simon
SimonJ

Engine Timing 1929 250

Post by SimonJ »

Hi this is the short version - I just lost a 400 word post!

Have just purchased this bike which is fairly complete but not running.
The magneto chain was not fitted. Found the arrows on the engine and magneto sprockets (after flipping the mag sprocket over!) and have read how to time the mag.
Problem is that at 3/8 BTDC the engine sprocket arrow is pointing at 7 o'clock instead of 3 o'clock towards the magneto mark.
I have checked the timing marks on the inlet and exhaust wheels and the small engine wheel. The single dot on inlet and double dot on exhaust match up to the marks on the small engine
I'm putting the engine to 3/8 BTDC (ie with both valve lifters at their lowest point) but the arrow on the engine sprocket (for magneto chain) is still pointing at 7 o'clock.
What am I missing here?
Regards Simon

Hi Simon welcome to the forum. I have moved your second item to this same thread as, on its own, there was no way to know the model etc. it makes sense to continue using the same thread with your questions as that way people have more information. The way the system works is that most people click view new posts and will then see that something new has been added to the thread. Regards Clive one of the moderators.
SimonJ

Re: New From Australia

Post by SimonJ »

Hopefully there will be a picture showing the bike in it's present partially stripped down form while I'm trying to sort out some timing problems
ksj_LAPSED

Post by ksj_LAPSED »

a proper aussie shed you could get lost in there for days
clive

Post by clive »

Hi Simon please see my edit above, I have now also moved the whole topic into prewar. Really I am just avoiding clearing up after the building work has finished.................but I think this is a better place for your thread!
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The model 12 250 SV was introduced in 1928, it became OHV in 1930. I think/know you have a mixture of years there that need sorting before you progress. Perhaps join the club and get the machine checked out by the dating officer. Then you can be advised of the correct year / model literature. Not much good talking about timing etc until we know what you are trying to time. You found a frame number, this can be dated also what model the frame was for. Engine and gearbox numbers would had been the same, when the machine left the factory. Engine & gearbox numbers were stamped on a brass plate. Riveted on the outer gear box case, and left hand side engine crank case just below the barrel. You may see where these have been removed. A number stamped at the top of each crank case behind the barrel are just crank case half, matching numbers. You may see a letter stamped on top of the gear box where the kick starter shaft passes through, this could be a year code letter. Year code letters and model numbers may be found in various places, even on dummy spindles inside the wheels. If any are found, let the dating officer know those also and where found. Rob, club prewar officer.
SimonJ

Post by SimonJ »

Thanks for sorting out the posts Clive.
Thanks for that info Rob. I guess joining the club would be beneficial. I will definitely look into that.
There are no numbers to be found on the engine but found the letter "H" stamped on the gearbox near the kick start shaft and also a number stamped on the left hand side of the gearbox just below the frame but above the rear drive sprocket which seems to be "1171" stamped upside down. (or the right way up could be "ILII")
Ksj - I'm not bragging (much!) but the bike is sitting half way down the shed. It's 7m x 32m x3.8m high but don't seem to have any trouble filling it up!

Cheers Simon
Tommy RE

Post by Tommy RE »

SimonJ wrote: )
Ksj - I'm not bragging (much!) but the bike is sitting half way down the shed. It's 7m x 32m x3.8m high but don't seem to have any trouble filling it up!

Blimey!! It looks like you need a team of trackers and baggage porters to get you in and out of there :o :shock: :o How many weeks does the average expatiation take? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Cheers Simon
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome, Simon.
Have you read the info on ignition timing in these two manuals?

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... dition.pdf

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... tevens.pdf

They both have some decent photos etc. re positioning the mag drive cam, aligning dots etc.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
SimonJ

Post by SimonJ »

TommyRE The trackers and porters have not been seen since last Tuesday when they were sent towards the back to seek out my missing 9/16 socket :D
I'm still sorting things out after a reshuffle, but have set up the main working area in one section meaning less walking to get tools etc......even though the wife remarked that the exercise would be a better idea :oops:

SPRIDDLER Yes thanks I have copies of both those documents. I do understand (now!) how the engine and magneto timing is set up but one of my marks is not doing what it's supposed to!

Will make another post about what I've learned so far and what the actual problem is.

Regards Simon