1937 250 ajs

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
guzzicat

1937 250 ajs

Post by guzzicat »

I have an oil leak from the base of the push rod tubes on my 1937 250 AJS , the tubes are knurled, do they screw into cases? Any info on dismantling , supply of O rings etc. would be appreciated.
Rob Harknett

Re: 1937 250 ajs

Post by Rob Harknett »

The tubes are not screwed in. Assuming you have all the correct parts you will note in your parts list top rubbers are pt. no. STD690 bottom rings STD691. ( did I waste my time making a file listing all parts the club stocked that converted from old to new pt. no's ) The bottom rings STD691 convert to new pt. no. 000691 Get them from the club spares dept. The top rubbers do not convert to a new pt. no. as they appear to be about 1/32" / 1/16" smaller in diameter than the later type. They are still approx. 1/2" long. The later type are pt. no. 010672. I suggest you get these from club spares, as they are better than nothing. You may find them tight in the rocker box and loose on the tubes. So the R/box will need to be nice and clean, perhaps a little sealer on the tubes. I have found on my 50's bikes these rubbers can vary in size, some seem too tight others too loose. You may strike lucky and get a pair that fit you 37 tubes OK. Or you will have to fiddle a bit. Just a word of warning. As with 50's tubes, do make sure the tubes with rubbers, go fully home in the rocker box. Watch carefully the bottom of the tubes/rubbers when you tighten up. If the top rubbers are not fitted correctly, you could end up flattening the bottom cup end of the tubes.
So that's a pair of 000691 bottom rubbers rings & a pair of 010672 top rubbers you should find in stock at club spares.
The oil leak at the base may be due to the top rubbers perishing, so just fitting new bottom rings may not seal the leak.
guzzicat

Re: 1937 250 ajs

Post by guzzicat »

Thanks for help. Parts ordered.