bike register

Information relating to Matchless and AJS Models built prior to 1939
g80csp11

bike register

Post by g80csp11 »

Does anyone have any idea of the number of bikes of each type still exist , and are running , regually riden
It would help when deciding if to remanufacture parts if some idea of the likely customers was know

Obviously the club has membership records , can we get access to the numbers for each type ? , i'm not looking for names and addresses so hopefully not against the data protection policy
It wpuld be interesting if the summary could be published in the Jampot.

For example i've been looking at valves for 350 SV engines

I can get replacements manufactured in 'Exhaust spec' material, suitable for both inlet and exhasut for £ 27.00 each , but would need to find buyers for the remaining parts. Manufactured by a leading UK based company.

The option is to machine down BSA valves to fit , cost £28.00 and still with a larger stem diametr so non standard valve guide
Personally I'd pay twice that price for the correct part

Perhaps we could get the club to start manufacturing spares for prewar machines as well ! , or some other AMC spares supplier
itma

bike register

Post by itma »

not viable really and I think you will find most owners of vintage AJS are VMCC members rather than Jampot ones, This club as it is was formed primarily for post war bikes, not vintage stuff.

This question comes up often for nearly all pre war makes.
Hard truth is, there just aint enough of them about or wearing out enough.
The solution is to learn to do it yourself. Its also a sad hard truth that maintaining a vintage bike is not an easy thing for the amateur with out basic workshop skills and equipment.
g80csp11

bike register

Post by g80csp11 »

Thants what I thought , most have become static exibits , so don't require many spares, and will I fear become all too common for the later AMC bikes post was as well. A sad decline in the number of miles being ridden on old machinary.
Looks liek it's machine teh BSA valves to fit , the bike will at least run and plenty of 600cc SV BSA valves about , even if they are pattern parts as well.

You only need to ask at the MOT station , how many miles most bike do between MOT's. some of the flash pocket rockets do less than 200 miles a year.

At least for now , I'll continue to ride my AMC bikes as much as possible usually 3k - 5K per year , not sure that the 1927 350 SV will be doing more than 100 miles a year
Rob Harknett

bike register

Post by Rob Harknett »

Yes so often the spares question has been asked, so that would be a repeat of many topics over many years.
As to a register. This would require every owner to give details or there machines.
Also permission to hld those details, this agian has been discussed many times. Apart from people not responding, theres other issues, data protection act. Cloning machines and so on. Many people have given me details of prewar machines, which has to be kept unpublished, for the many reasons already considered.
There is one thing many, no every one has overlooked, of some 1300 machines on the prewar register. No one has ever told me they have sold a machine, so I can remove the machine details untill such time the new owner agrees his machine details can be held. At one time I was informed of new members machine details, this practise seems to have creased now. Unless theres been no new members join within the last few years, with a prewar machine. The VMCC register published I think 1993 may give some clues as to what machines have survived. but consider the whole world, and this is only a small portion of such bikes.
If you think you are hard done by by not having a register of machines available.
Consider this, I have been on the club committee for well over 20 years. I am now also a director. I am not allowed a membership list, I am not allowed access to the forms you fill in stating what bikes you have. Probably because I am not named on the data protection forms or something. So it will just have to be accepted, in this day and age, you are not going to get lists of details of other peoples property.
Rob Harknett

bike register

Post by Rob Harknett »

Something to consider, although I have said it before.
Prewar is 2 marques, post war really only one. Post war period only really had a single and a twin, and for a shorter time period. Prewar Matchless. Over 120 models over some 30 years, some running for a few years during which there were many yearly changes.
AJS had a range of up to 12 models up to 1928 approx from then on 12 models each year for 30 years ( all figures approx ) Just one single part could had changed many times.
ianselva

bike register

Post by ianselva »

quote:
Thants what I thought , most have become static exibits , so don't require many spares, and will I fear become all too common for the later AMC bikes post was as well. A sad decline in the number of miles being ridden on old machinary.

At least for now , I'll continue to ride my AMC bikes as much as possible usually 3k - 5K per year , not sure that the 1927 350 SV will be doing more than 100 miles a year

I dont think that is neccessarily a fact , last week I rode on VMCC trip following Offas Dyke from Chepstow to Prestatyn ( 170 miles) and in our group we had a '26 and two '28 350cc AJS . They were OHVs admittedly but they all made it with no breakdowns, and they wren't immaculate exhibition pieces.
Ian
dave16mct

bike register

Post by dave16mct »

That's an interesting run Ian. How long did it take? Dave.
Rob Harknett

bike register

Post by Rob Harknett »

There are other reasons why bikes may be ridden less. Owners getting older and feeling the cold more, owners not as fit as they used to be. Fewer events of interest being held to attend. Fewer people prepared to organise an event. More riders opting to ride a modern bike on runs. The latter has seen fewer old bikes on runs due to the fact they don't want to ride the old machines at the increased speed of the runs. I stoped using my prewar bikes years ago as run speeds increased, more recently I stoped using post war singles. Recently I have stoped riding my 650 twin on runs. Or should that now read races to the chosen modern bikers meeting place. My wife and I are now down to just going for a quick spin for a few miles un noticed. No longer in a group stoping off at a venue to be noticed.Edited by - Rob Harknett on 16 May 2012 09:51:09 AM
itma

bike register

Post by itma »

Very good points Rob with which I agree, but onthe subject of not enough events for older machines and not wishing to reopen an extinct argument, cast you mind back a few years on the pre war group when I tried to set up a " Numb Bum" event for rigid/girder bikes it got shot down in flames, not least by suggesting I let the Victor Meldrew C Club take it over.
Rob Harknett

bike register

Post by Rob Harknett »

I was not really refering to events just for older machines Ken. I had in mind the Steam shows etc that also had classic cars and bikes. Many shows my way no longer happen, reasons, H&S. insurance and claim scares, cost of getting steam engines to shows. ( As the main attraction they usualy have to be paid to attend, or at least coal supplied on site free )
It is also hard to get something going.
Old bikes are very much like the smaller machines, cycle motors etc. So you cannot expect them to turm up from far & wide ridden. There must be a venue for the start and finish, for cars to park up with trailored machines. Start off with a bring and buy, gets people to try and arrive early so not to miss a bargain or make some sales.
Also a mid way stop for lunch. Don't give up on the first try, word has to spread.