G80/85CS Barrels

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
John Jarrett

G80/85CS Barrels

Post by John Jarrett »

I don't know if anyone else has spotted that there are numerous new barrels for the G80/85CS on e-bay at the moment from various traders. Someone is remanufacturing... does anyone know who?
I wonder if they can be persuaded to remanufacture other parts for AMC machines... possibly via the club spares scheme?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AJS-18CS-MATCHLES ... 3512079601
holland

G80/85CS Barrels

Post by holland »

Well they are not compition barrels, but a copy of the road going cylinder cast in alloy. Look at the top fin/second fin no brace is in place. Either way very nice i have a few here now if you want any.
Perfect for any special.
But the original items are still hard to come by for under £500.00.
jh
g80csp11

G80/85CS Barrels

Post by g80csp11 »

The club and many other spares stockists already get some of their stock from this suppier. My guess is that it's made in China or India but quality looks pretty good . Like holland I've got several in stock.

Often we are limited on supply of rare spares as the club are reluctant to let other suppliers see the drawings . These have obviously been reverse engineered (copies from genuine )

Perhaps It's time we had a section on the forum or email address that we could request remanufacture by the club and when the demand is there the resource could be allocated to copy drawimgs and get quotations. not a difficult job if the club actually wants to supply good quality rare parts. AMC classic obviously do this , as do Russell motors , but are limited to how many parts they target especially while genuine parts are available in short supply.

This is evident by the increasing parts lists from AMC classic , Andrews etc.

I'm not sure how many parts JSL manufacture on an exclusive basis . my impression is that it's pretty small
wilko

G80/85CS Barrels

Post by wilko »

Now, if somebody starts making the early type.
mdt-son

G80/85CS Barrels

Post by mdt-son »

quote:
Well they are not compition barrels ...

Hi James,
When wading through the picture archive, I discovered an image of your 620cc. Did you cast and machine the crancases yourself?

Someone in the UK made new crankcases for the late shortstrokes at one time not too long ago? I've been told that JSL had them but they were quickly snapped up. Do you know anything about the individuals involved?

I have a set of genuine crankcases here, unfortunately they do not match. Do you have an idea how to procede - welding and subsequent machining or having another half reproduced and subsequently matched to the opposite genuine half?

Sorry for stealing your thread, John.

Knut Sonsteby
holland

G80/85CS Barrels

Post by holland »

yes i did cast and machine my own case's. i made the norton oil pump type as well as my specials with the outward appearance of the plunger pump cases but fitted with a big timing side bearing and triumph oil pump. i have plenty of pictures i can post if required.
to match odd case's is not a problem i have done this plenty of times before.
mdt-son

G80/85CS Barrels

Post by mdt-son »

That's exciting, James. I'd like to see these cases in detail, so please post pictures.

Would you have a go at mine, or is there someone you can recommend for this work? I have spoken to several engineers in the UK but they were reluctant to take on the job. How do you go about?

Knut Sonsteby

G80/85CS Barrels

Post by 242017 »

Strange I thought it was Keith Rippin that cast the Norton Oil pump single cases,timing chests and barrels...and who also made the cams with KR stamped on them
holland

G80/85CS Barrels

Post by holland »

Rippin did make stuff but not mine.

Infact i still have the pattern for the barrels which i bought from him some time ago as well as some drawing's also purchased from him.
We did do some business together but this was along time ago now.

My parts where cast in Surrey and machined in my workshop to my spec's, that way i kept a control on delivery and timescales as i was building a lot of comp machines at one time.

Anyway, he's all packed up now i hear. But i have seen him around.

jh
Edited by - holland on 09 Feb 2012 3:35:55 PM

G80/85CS Barrels

Post by 242017 »

Nope he is still going strong and making crankcases and machining them...But then HE does it all.....