matchless G85CS

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
spindle

matchless G85CS

Post by spindle »

MikeM.

matchless G85CS

Post by MikeM. »

A friend of mine who I first met in 1962 said that his Matchless had a 600cc engine (presumably a G85 in it), he said the engine had come from "under the bench" at the factory. His name is Ian Gordon and was a stalwart member of the club back in the 60s. He now presides in "The States".
itma

matchless G85CS

Post by itma »

further to the bit about selling engines to the Germans, it was odd that I never sold one here, the continentals seemed much more keen on them, and snapped them up.
I always found it surprising in view of the fad for specials here at that time that no one fitted one into a road bike frame, a Goldie or Featherbed or even one of the 7R frames that were about.
I never did as I couldnt afford my prices
matchlessg85cs

matchless G85CS

Post by matchlessg85cs »

I still have 2 G85CS MX bikes
My G85CS pages still excists but have,nt uploaded it for many years

my knee was damaged a 6 years ago @ work
lateron it was no accident or surprice but due to reumatic troubles
cheers Frank
matchlessg85cs

matchless G85CS

Post by matchlessg85cs »

matchlessg85cs

matchless G85CS

Post by matchlessg85cs »

mdt-son

matchless G85CS

Post by mdt-son »

Hi Frank,
Good to hear from you again. We should revitalize the technical discussions ....
Your physical troubles are unfortunate wrt. a bike such as the G85CS ....
Where did the registry go? I had a glimpse at your pages but couldn't find it.

Knut S.Edited by - mdt-son on 07 Feb 2012 3:09:11 PM
mdt-son

matchless G85CS

Post by mdt-son »

quote:
Hello Knut.

A plan of the factory? that'll be a job.
<....> if you wanted I could sketch out what I remember.

What might interest you is that a lot of old 1940's /60s Aeriel reconnaissance photos of the London area from govt archives have been released and are on sale.

Hello Itma,

Well, I am used to drafting work, being a mechanical design engineer. In the past I have designed several buildings, but making sketchy plans of an old factory with all its nooks and crannies might be something else. As to the description of the factory being a "rambling grubby old place", that may be true for most of the plant, but AMC did invest heavily in a new toolshop in the late 50's. Going by the pictures, it looked organized and proper. It may have been an exeption to the general state though.
Thank you for offering to help out with sketches

The search for aerial photos hasn't been successful this far. RAF and Luftwaffe records were taken at great height and no specific buildings are discernible (and I did not detect any exposures of London SE18). I have made an inquiry with UK Aerial Photos - will probably have to pay for a high-resolution image. Both factories at Burrage Grove and Maxey Road as well as the warehouse at Burrage Grove will be of interest.

Knut S.
itma

matchless G85CS

Post by itma »

I will PM you something when I have sketched it out. dont get too hopeful.
I never got to see the big machines shop, as I said management liked to keep different section intheir own places.
You must bear in mind I am speaking of the last 2 or 3 years, not what went before, but from the grime onthe windows of the production line they hadnt been cleaned in decades.

Uk aerial photos is the one, I beleive what they send you is much higher resolution than you see on screen.
Not cheap though.
matchlessg85cs

matchless G85CS

Post by matchlessg85cs »

Knut records are still on my website
on page : my G85CS
not all is correct on the records list
@ the moment busy on my Matchless G50 project