Ignition timing ? -18CS short stroke

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
Peter Morris

Re: Ignition timing ? -18CS short stroke

Post by Peter Morris »

I'm still having trouble with the timing on my G3C, probably because I haven't adjusted it again yet :roll: Found this in a WC Haycraft book, don't know why the 1964-6 bikes went metric.

How on earth do you measure 10.98mm before? I'd have trouble getting it spot on if were a straight 11mm!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rodney

Post by Rodney »

Hello I have 1959 350 G3C that I think is too far advanced (it kicks back ) very savagely on starting can anyone confirm correct timing please
R howe
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Welcome to the Forums! :beer:

See page 32 in the Workshop Manual here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... .NEILL.pdf

It gives the figures, dependant upon engine number. If yours has a manual A/R mag (i.e. without ATC) don't use the 'Retarded' figure. Always check/set the points gap before adjusting the timing. If it does have ATC the mechanism can stick so check that it's operating freely and the weights return to the Retarded position when the engine is stopped. The 'Return' springs can also be weak. (I'm not sure about the 'C' competition models but I don't think ATC was fitted on them because when used for trials the riders like to be able to adjust the timing manually according to the demands of the particular section on the course.

Ignition timing 59 singles.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'