B52 Clutch 'clicking'

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
Matchymarty

B52 Clutch 'clicking'

Post by Matchymarty »

Hi all,

Just put my '55 G80CS engine back together with new piston and fixed a few gearbox leaks etc while I was at it.

All went well with the assembly, save for a quite audible 'Click' when the clutch lever is pulled in all the way (right at the end of travel). I've had the clutch apart a few times and reassembled and never have had this issue. I definitely re-inserted the ball bearing for the clutch rod on the kick start side, and the smaller bearing on the clutch side was still inside the rod adjustment screw/nut housing. I'm all but positive I put the rod in the correct way (has a larger cup on one end for the larger ball bearing at the starter side.

Any ideas before I pull it apart again - I don't want to... chaincase is sealed nicely.

Cheers.
Marty.
Reynard24

Re: B52 Clutch 'clicking'

Post by Reynard24 »

It's worth checking the pivot distance on the handlebar lever - it should be 7/8". Most pattern levers are 1" or even 1 1/8" and these pull the gearbox operating mechanism too far on the B52 box and can cause this clicking, on the AMC box it just gives heavier operation.
Groily

Post by Groily »

The click is probably coming from the 'scissors sockets and balls' arrangement at the cable end. I've had this a few times over the years after playing with the clutch.
I'd say the assembly is going 'over-centre' as it were. Adjustments ought to get things back into the correct operating range but you might need to get at the pressure plate - hope not though obviously, unless you have a detachable dome on the outer primary.
clive

Post by clive »

I too have experienced this and it's usually fixed by readjusting the pressure plate end of the clutch. Too much slack in the system allows the lifting mechanism to go too far. Adjust out the clutch cable so there is lots of slack, adjust the clutch pressure plate so that it is just off raising the plate (1/4 to 1/2 or so turn back from the lift point) and then take out the slack in the clutch cable. Clicking should stop, if not reduce the amount of free play at the clutch plate end. Go to far in reducing it and you may get clutch slip when the clutch warms up. If you have recently reassembled the clutch however I would check the spring pressure as the possible source of clutch slip before the rod adjustment. Good luck
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

I had this problem when I first got my current G80 some 12 years ago. I took off the outer cover and replaced both halves of the the 3-ball cam and the central plunger. Total cure, but I never found out the real cause. Hope this helps, Andy
Matchymarty

Post by Matchymarty »

Cheers all.

I haven't changed the clutch lever, and have ridden the bike for 5500 miles and never had the issue. Thanks for the thought though. As for adjustment, yes, I will check that, and I do recall the pressure plate seperating a fair way from the plates. so I'll add a little tension, and yes, luckily i have the removeable dome on the chaincase cover.

The clicking can be felt at the cable actuating arm in the gearbox outer case with my finger on it through the filler hole.

So yes, thank you all, hopefully it's just adjustment.

:)
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Late response but while I had the B52 in the Matchless I had the same experience as Groilly and would follow his advice first.

Johnny B
Matchymarty

Post by Matchymarty »

56G80S wrote:Late response but while I had the B52 in the Matchless I had the same experience as Groilly and would follow his advice first.

Johnny B
Cheers '56G80S'. Will do.

Right now thinking of pushing the bike over a cliff though.... after rebore and new ceramic coated piston rebuild over weekend, it's blowing smoke and oil fowling the plug after 3 gentle rides totalling 38 miles !!!. 3rd rebore, 3rd piston, in 5000 miles. Cranky with oil consumption and smoke, i rode the last piston for 3000 miles, but thought i'd better sort it.... and now... its back at it! ARRRRGH! :headbang:
clive

Post by clive »

If a rebore has not fixed it, is the piston the problem? Perhaps the oil setting on the inlet valve is too rich, or the valve guides are worn. You should not need to rebore once in 5000 miles let alone thrice. Is the pressure release valve on the crankcase allowing it to breath properly? If there is that much oil in the engine due to blow by from the piston I would expect to see a gentle smoking from around the primary chaincase as the breather vents oil mist when you are stationary on tickover. The breather is a bit difficult to get at but I would definitely check it is functioning correctly.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
bjorn

Post by bjorn »

Hi Marty,

Ref.: "Just put my '55 G80CS engine back together with new piston and fixed a few gearbox leaks etc while I was at it."

If you had the gearbox apart you have probably assembled with new gaskets. These are often thicker than the originals and the difference in thickness may well have thrown off the previously perfect clutch actuation setting.

regards
Bjørn