Restoring a G80 CS

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
Shorty

Re: Restoring a G80 CS

Post by Shorty »

This is the headlight off my G80CS. Is there some sort of securing device missing, that would hold the socket tight in the headlight shell?
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

I'm pretty sure they were just a press fit, the similar one on my '61 T120R has a rubber boot over the female coupling and this perhaps was meant to keep the two parts together, dosn't work though so a cable tie was pressed i into service, kind regards
hwilkinson

Post by hwilkinson »

If you are talking about something to hold the socket in the shell, it is held in with 4 screws and nuts through a large thin metal ring with 4 holes that sits round the back of the socket inside the shell. See attached.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shorty

Post by Shorty »

hwilkinson wrote:If you are talking about something to hold the socket in the shell, it is held in with 4 screws and nuts through a large thin metal ring with 4 holes that sits round the back of the socket inside the shell. See attached.
Thanks for that, I do not have the ring, will have to make one.
Thx, Max
Shorty

Post by Shorty »

You can see my problem here. When the bike is on the centre stand there is a gap between the lower fork yoke and the lower fork tube. Its ok when on the jiffy stand.
I doesnt look right to me, can you guys advise me a bit? I dont think there should be a spacer inside the tube, and I cant see one in the Manual. Maybe someone before me has fitted incorrect springs? If this is so, what spring do I require and are they available? Don Madden will know, you there Don?
I did post on the other Matchy forum as I had issues here logging in but I must say the Admin guy (Eamon) was right onto it and fixed the problem pronto!
Thanks guys.

Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

As far as I'm aware there are no spacers to take up the gap you have, the spring should seat the cover on the lower yoke.

Pg 58 of the 57-64 Matchless Workshop Manual, (on the archive), details the various spring lengths, this covers your model doesn't it?

The other consideration is incorrect length stanchions.

Regards Mick
John Jarrett

Post by John Jarrett »

I had a similar problem in the past on a 58CS.
Have you got the buffer springs in the forks?
Shorty

Post by Shorty »

John Jarrett wrote:I had a similar problem in the past on a 58CS.
Good question. I have never had the forks apart, it looks like its my next job! :headbang:
clive

Post by clive »

John Jarrett wrote:I had a similar problem in the past on a 58CS.
I thought the comp models with the longer spring were used without the buffer springs, otherwise it would simply preload the longer spring and remove the advantage of greater travel. Would the CS model have been supplied with a centre stand, if not the problem is resolved? :rofl:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Yes they were Clive, see the latest photo's of scramblers in the photo section.
Dave.