Tappets and guides '56 G80CS

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
Matchymarty

Tappets and guides '56 G80CS

Post by Matchymarty »

HI all,

I've just installed new big end, and small end, and got flywheels set up again, pretty happy with how they turned out. Deciding whether to get the wheels and piston balanced or not, but may have to, seeing is how I'm trying to chase out a bad vibration.

Anyhow, I've checked the tappets and guides, and they are quite worn for and aft, and so wish to replace them, as I'm doing all bushes and bearings.

AMC Spares don't seem to have them listed, nor do club spares. Anyone know where I can get them for the '56 G80CS?

Cheers.
Don Madden

Re: Tappets and guides '56 G80CS

Post by Don Madden »

Unless they are very badly worn, just live with them. They have a groove in the guides for a grub screw & the tappets are hollow. The guides are a very tight shrink fit in the bore & the tappets are brittle so even a light tap on them will chip the foot. I have had to heat the case to smoking hot & use the factory tool to remove them, even then they are hard to shift. Do not be miss led by some that say they merely heat the case & tap it on the bench. That may work for the touring engines but not scramblers. Don.
Matchymarty

Re: Tappets and guides '56 G80CS

Post by Matchymarty »

Sorry for the late reply, haven't been able to set foot in the shed or even think about the bike - stupid busy with work.

Thanks Don so much for your information. Think I might just leave well enough alone with the tappets and guides. They have a little slop in then, but then I'm not going to go around the world and back either, so, they'll do the miles I need.

A side issue. I've googled for hours and even searched on here, but can't seem to find the original thread size and type for the oil feed lines. Do you know Don?
I have two stripped threads and want to helicoil them. I don't trust anyone to weld them up and re-machine them.

Cheers.

Marty Whyte
OZ.