P11 frame

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
bjorn

P11 frame

Post by bjorn »

Gathering dust in my barn for the last 25 years or so is a P11 frame. It came from the States at some time in the past. Unfortunately the frame around the headstock has been butchered as it appears to have been used as a chopper. I cannot find a frame number anywhere. I assume this should be on the headstock? The headstock and adjacent frame tubes are partly covered by a plate brazed on either side, so frame number may be hiding beneath these plates.

Does anyone have any recommendation on who could repair the frame (UK or elsewhere in Europe)? I saw favourable mention of Paul Jackson in the G85CS rebuild article in the April 2016 Jampot.

The frame is all I have of the P11, so would have to start collecting Norton engine etc, although I do have a G85 engine, AMC box, and other bits and pieces, so it could end up as a 500 single instead of a 750 twin.

regards
Bjørn
P11 frame.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
robcurrie

Re: P11 frame

Post by robcurrie »

It might be easier and safer to just find another frame - you might even pick one up with its paperwork, you might even get one with everything excluding the 750 engine. I notice an extra hole in the top tube at a critical place just wanting to fail (at the corner of the added plate). There is so much brazing that you will not be able to do good welding to effect repairs in the neck area.

Rob C

Post by 242017 »

Yes it is repairable....The front headstock on this model is a standard twin downtube article...just a bit modified fitting the front downtubes...The top tube will need to be replaced also.....I should think that Simon Cheney of Cheney Racing could do this.....But would the cost of repairing it be more expensive than finding another.....???
bjorn

Post by bjorn »

Hi guys,
Thanks for your comments. I agree it might be costly to have the frame repaired, but I believe it can be done.
If I decide to do anything with it, it will be built as a street bike. The option of putting a G85 engine in it will provide power and speed enough.
Anyone have a P11 or G85 frame: where is the frame number located, on the headstock or down tubes? A picture showing location would be nice.

Bjørn

Post by 242017 »

The frame number for the P11 is on the left hand side whilst sitting on the bike...Just below the headstock casting on the front downtube....opposite side for the G85cs

Best Wishes Geoff

Post by 242017 »

Just to clarify...the number is found on the headstock casting...but just above where it joins the left hand side front downtube
bjorn

Post by bjorn »

Thanks Geoff,
Will scrub off some paint and filler and see if I can find it.

regards
Bjørn