AJS 7R turns up in France, or does it?

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
saltbox alf
Deceased

AJS 7R turns up in France, or does it?

Post by saltbox alf »

Hi all, In my position as 'secretaire du France' an owner of a 7R, over here, inherited from his grand-dad, but sadly without any paperwork has asked if I can find out any history.
Well I have some information , but not really anything of use.
Now it seems that the run of 7R's ended at number 19xx and the records are squirreled away somewhere and not in the club ownership.
The engine number is 61 7r 4730 which matches the frame stamp on the head stock (not sure if that's the right place) and the gearbox.
I will attach a picture or two in following posts.
On blowing up the picture of the gearbox number, it looks highly likely to have had the 1 over-stamped with a 4 and I think the same with the engine number.

There is a fairing that came with the bike and written on it is ex Joe Potts, Belles hill ,Bob Mcintyre.
I have discovered two other 7r's with serial numbers starting with a 4, any body else think they might be from the same stable and marked with a 4 to show ownership?
The owners Grandfather who was a racer himself, had said that it was an Bob Mac bike used in the Northern 100 (could be southern) racing series and that is why he bought it.
If anybody has any ideas, please help.
ps, I will have to resize pictures.
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
saltbox alf
Deceased

Re: AJS 7R turns up in France, or does it?

Post by saltbox alf »

Gearbox number
number.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

side.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

fairing.jpg
fairing inside.jpg
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Found this on Wikepedia...

Bob Macintyre. AJS rider
In 1953, following some English National short circuit wins, Bob went to the North West 200 for his first International win on an AJS 7R in the 350 cc class. Despite having to retire at the TT that year, his performance was noticed by AJS, and he joined that team for the 1953 Grands Prix World championship. The only win was at Pau in France, there was a third at the Ulster Grand Prix, and he was in the first six placings for the Netherlands, Switzerland and Belgium. In the 1954 Isle of Man Senior TT Bob came 14th on an AJS.[2]

Potts Norton privateer

AJS pulled out of racing, and Bob was soon riding the 'Dustbin' faired Potts Norton, and winning. The TT looked to be within reach, and in the 1955 Isle of Man Junior TT he did lead for four of the seven laps, but brake overheating and suspension problems forced him to slow, allowing Bill Lomas on a Moto Guzzi to pass, and go on to victory. Bob came second. In the Senior he managed fifth, with an average of 93.83 mph (151.00 km/h), very good for a private entant among works teams. Giulio Carcano offered him a Guzzi ride after, but he did not accept.

He continued to ride the 'Dustbin' faired Norton for Joe Potts, from Bellshill near Glasgow, and continued to win races other than the TT. The 1956 TT saw retirements with mechanical problems.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Hi Neville, yes I have now found that too (thank you it has led me to other lines of enquiery), however in 1958 and 1960 Bob Mac rode an AJS in the junior 58 TT and 1960 motoGP.
And if the Number is over stamped and is actually 1730 and is a 1960 bike and not as thought ,a '61 model, then it could be an historic and interesting bike!
Same goes for if it is '61.
My interest is the history and gives me something to get my teeth into and not just twiddling me thumbs :headbang:

The northwest 200 was won in 1961 in 350 and 500 class by Bob Mac, but I can not as yet find out on which bikes, correction......
He won the '61 on AJS and Matchless machines (north west 200 archives). One would therefor think a 7r and a G50.

was anybody there? or know for sure?
Does anybody know about the re-stamping of numbers (not that that happens :rofl: )?
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

Sprid,

I think the description "dustbin" fairing should possibly be "dolphin" fairing. See attached link:

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/ ... pecial.htm

There is a Mcintyre replica that is regularly raced in South Africa by Ian Groat of Team Incomplete.

Rob C
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

robcurrie wrote:Sprid,

I think the description "dustbin" fairing should possibly be "dolphin" fairing.
Agreed, Rob. I just cut and pasted the Wikipedia entry. P'raps I should edit their text. As you said, the one in Alf's photo is not a dustbin fairing and it appears from the text that the dustbin fairing was on his Potts BSA not an AMC bike.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Usefull link Rob, that would be the 'razorblade' frame in the picture. Bit more here http://yorkshireferret.blogspot.fr/2011 ... desmo.html

This is very interesting stuff.