Sourcing alloy mudguards

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
sjr

Sourcing alloy mudguards

Post by sjr »

Does anybody know where to get an alloy front mudguard for a 1955 18CS?
I've got the bridge, stays and rivets, its just the bare mudguard that I would like to buy.
It is for the 21" front wheel, the guard should be 4" across. I don't seem to be able to find anything with the usual Ebay and internet search.
Thanks for your help,
Steve
leswaller

Re: Sourcing alloy mudguards

Post by leswaller »

Have you tried Steve Surbey at AMC Classic Spares?
Les
Rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of the wise
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

Hitchcocks lists various sizes. The exact sizes are scarce but the available ones can be adapted. You will have to make & rivet in the steel reinforcement plates. Cheers! Don.
RayBeech

Post by RayBeech »

As Don suggests, I used Hitchcock's Alloy guards on my G3L off roader with 21" front wheel and the fit was good.
sjr

Post by sjr »

Thank you all, gents.
Called Steve Surbey this morning. He has the correct guards in stock, so problem solved!

Don, are the reinforcing plates really necessary on a bike which will not be doing major mileage? I guess there is a risk of cracking but I will not be revving the bike that hard, just using it for the occasional road trip and to show off at meetings. I think the rear mudguard is an original since it has a plate under every attachment hole, all neatly riveted in, but it looks like a fiddly job to me. The plates are not much thicker than a baked bean can and I am concerned that I would not get all the holes in the right place, even with strip clips, the thing is going to bend away from the drill.

Steve
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

Steve, I used hard rubber washers (actually 1/2 in tap washers!), one between stay and mudguard, one under the mudguard, with metal washers under 2BA screw head (top) and nyloc nut (under guard). This holds everything firmly and prevents vibration transfer to alloy guards. This set-up has lasted for 10 years of hard riding with no problems whatsoever. When measuring for holes in guard, use a sewing measuring tape to find centreline and mark hole positions; centre punch fairly deep to avoid drill slipping and scratching surface. I used a hand drill for better control. Hope this helps, Andy
LynP

Post by LynP »

Hi, just in case it helps I recently bought a CSR mudguard bridge with a reinforcing plate for the front mudguard from Steve at AMC spares.