AJS 18TCS plug type

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
february

AJS 18TCS plug type

Post by february »

Hi,
I know there are not a lot of these AJS TCS18's around, and not much info either, but just maybe someone has or has had one as this is the first of several questions...what is the recommended spark plug type ?

I believe the barrel and piston is slightly different to the Matchless G80tcs, but are the cylinder heads the same ?

Many thanks
Don Madden

Re: AJS 18TCS plug type

Post by Don Madden »

For a given year, the cylinder heads for CS & TCS are the same but 1959 heads & pistons are very different from 1960-up & cannot be mixed. This applies to all AMC engines as all were revised in 1960. The cylinders were over bored G80CS & there is enough liner thickness for +0.040 oversize pistons. The plug used depends on usage but I found NGK B8ES worked well for street/road use on my 1960 G80TCS Typhoon. Cheers, Don.
february

Re: AJS 18TCS plug type

Post by february »

Excellent Don, thank you. I had already noted that you have a lot of experience with these. It is 1959. My next question will be about the mag which is N1 racing. Spark is poor and only strong enough when lever set to full advance, which is not the best place to kick it over. I have not had a good look yet, hopefully it will be just points adjustment or cleaning, but maybe will need more than that.
Being as you seem to know a lot about these typhoons is there any chance I could have your email address or do you prefer to communicate via this forum.
Many thanks for your response
Joe