Mudguard rivet installation?

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
Matchymarty

Mudguard rivet installation?

Post by Matchymarty »

Hi all,
Another noobie question.
I'm in the throws of installing a new alloy mudguard to the front of my '56 Compy, (the one that came on the bike did not have front stay and the front was cut off inline with the axel) and have ordered necessary rivets from AMCSpares.

I will no doubt be at a loss when they arrive, as I'm sure I don't have the right tool to install the rivets. Can anyone indulge my ignorance and advise how to install them and what tool? Can I make a tool? I know I am one.... but....
clive

Re: Mudguard rivet installation?

Post by clive »

There should be a plate which goes over the top of the alloy guard and then the bridge below. Once I had the holes in the right place I just turned mine upside down supporting the rivet head and hit the other side with a ballpeen hammer until the rivet had spread over the inner side of the bridge. 4 years later it all seems good still. I have the front end of the guard supported with a stay as well as the rear. Of course there is probably a special tool. :roll:
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

I have no idea they were rivetted together, I used some BA stainless nuts bolts and a lockwasher to connect mine, been o.k for the last 6/7 yrs, kind regards
Matchymarty

Post by Matchymarty »

Cheers gents.
I ordered rivets, but seems I ordered the incorrect ones, as they turned up tiny.
Resorting to button head allen bolts and nuts. Safe and look good. :)
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

I hope you counted them all........... :D :D the rivets I mean
only dead fish go with the flow
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Here's a handy site for how to rivit http://www.anvilfire.com/iForge/tutor.p ... rivet/demo see the bit about using formers half way down the page.
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
Matchymarty

Post by Matchymarty »

saltbox alf wrote:Here's a handy site for how to rivit http://www.anvilfire.com/iForge/tutor.p ... rivet/demo see the bit about using formers half way down the page.
Cheers!
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

The bridge of alloy mudguards is riveted over the top with reinforcing plate inside. The two stays have plates riveted inside the ends.. Cheers! Don.