AJS 16c rebuild

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
Ianjenn

Re: AJS 16c rebuild

Post by Ianjenn »

Whilst waiting for the rain to stop so I can spray the tank I have tried to contact the original owner from the buff log book. Turns out he is still with us and in his 90's. He remembers the bike and purchased it for one of his employees for travelling off road on his farm. This was one of the first farms in Cornwall to try a motorised means of getting around the fields and was later replaced after many years with quad bikes.

After being messed around by Armours and being told each month to ring back in a months time only to find there is still no date for stocks of exhausts, I have made other enquiries. A small firm called Raysons in Rochdale http://www.raysonsuk.com/ said they could make me one. So I took my bike to them on Tuesday and in less than 24hours Ben has made a new exhaust header pipe. Just going to the chromers now.
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

Exactly! Try Feked or any other supplier. Armours seem to be very insular ...
Sam
Ianjenn

Post by Ianjenn »

So the exhaust is back from the chromers and looks brill. The tank has been sprayed and just needs some stickers and lines.
I am just waiting for the silencer now. But I couldn't resist giving it a quick kickover this afternoon and after 20years I can not believe that it started on the first try. It was a bit loud without the silencer and my 2yr old nearly wet himself but I'm still grinning.
BultacoBen

Post by BultacoBen »

Looks brilliant Ian, well done on the rebuild!
http://www.ben-eddings.com
1966 Matchless G2 CSR scrambler
1986 Suzuki DR600 long-range explorer
1971 BSA B50T street tracker