'55 G80CS Concourse photos?

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
Matchymarty

'55 G80CS Concourse photos?

Post by Matchymarty »

Hi all,
Some of you might know I've just purchased a compy. I'm pretty excited, and can't wait to recieve it on the truck early next week, hopefully in time to get it on the road for our local AMC Rally next weekend. :D

I'm wondering if anyone has original sales photos of both sides of the '55 G80CS or, photos of a concourse one?

My new steed has but one toolbox (RHS), and from Roy Bacon's book of inexactitude, it seems that '55 was the last year they had 2 toolboxes. The gent I bought the bike from gave me another box, but said the frame is not set up to take a LHS toolbox? I thought that '56, had a LHS box, and No RHS? (horn in its place)?

Anyhow, would love to see correct photos, as some decals are also missing.

Cheers. :beer:
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 A G80CS 3.JPG
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 A G80CS 6.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Re: '55 G80CS Concourse photos?

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ashampoo_Snap_2016.03.30_19h44m58s_001_.png
AJS would be only badge different, so here is both sides.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Matchymarty

Post by Matchymarty »

Aah, so first of the 'pivoted fork' frames with passenger footpegs. (must have been an over supply that year of those subframes - '56 didn't seem to have them?) I noted a similar post from another member, though was a little inconclusive. Cheers for the photo.
sjr

Post by sjr »

I also have a 1955 CS. It is not possible to fit the toolbox on the left, the tyre pump lugs get in the way. It has just one toolbox on the right hand side only, like Rob's catalogue picture.

Steve
Matchymarty

Post by Matchymarty »

Thank you all.
I've now taken delivery, just got it 'on the road', and can't wait for the next rally.
Attached a couple of photos. Yes, I see that the frame is set up for a pump on the LHS, and toolbox on the right. Best I track down a pump. :)
My bike is from the US, and has a 19" front wheel too, which, I like the look of.

Is the tank correct? I have a friend with a '56 350 Compy Trials, and it has the same bars, and tank as my G80CS. Just wondering if this is correct?

Cheers. I'm pretty excited!
Compy B&W (Large).jpg
20160404_160204 (Large).jpg
Expat

Post by Expat »

Hi Matchy,

Nice looking bike! Makes you think how far around the world some of our old steeds have travelled, even if not often under their own steam :D

Steve
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Very nice bike and the tank is correct for '55 with the 2 bolt fixing at the rear. (Your mate's '56 will/should have a one bolt horizontal fixing through the frame at the back). I like your period 'Webco' finned rocker cover with built-in breather.
Cheers Dave.
Matchymarty

Post by Matchymarty »

dave16mct wrote:Very nice bike and the tank is correct for '55 with the 2 bolt fixing at the rear. (Your mate's '56 will/should have a one bolt horizontal fixing through the frame at the back). I like your period 'Webco' finned rocker cover with built-in breather.
Cheers Dave.
Cheers ! I love the finned cover too. Reckon it needs polishing. :) As it turns out the owner of this bike went mad on breather hoses. The crank case breather has 1.2m of hose connected to it! I cut it off and just let it drop down on the road, this way I can now find a frame cover (for over the Generator) as currently the rocker and crankcase breathers are in the way and don't allow the cover to be installed. Looks like it was set up for creek crossings! :) Wondering why the owner never put a snorkle on the carb! ahahahahaha.

Very happy with the bike. Funily, it looks like it is in pretty original condition, ie, the frame shows the casting marks thru the paint on the main frame, certainly patina on the instruments and fenders etc, and engine is clean, but not 'restored' to 1 million %. Love it! :) (got some decals for the tool box and oil tank coming though... ) hehehe
Cheers all!
vincentvv

Post by vincentvv »

Nice bike! Got a cs from 53 and 61! Damn im jealous at this one(-;

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Not fired is always a misser!