Potential Purchase - '55 or '56 G80CS??

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
Andy51

Re: Potential Purchase - '55 or '56 G80CS??

Post by Andy51 »

You need to strike a bargain with her - if you can only have one bike, then she can only have one pair of shoes! If she wants more shoes (and what woman doesn't?!) then she must let you have more bikes! Andy
Matchymarty

Post by Matchymarty »

JohnHewes wrote:What a dilemma!
The sensible thing to do, of course, is to sell one of your current bikes to buy another. No space problems and it keeps her happy.
I think that one bike is enough, you can give it all your time and love and not feel guilty about the others languishing at the back of the garage covered with old nylon fitted sheets, or wondering what will happen to them when you are gone, and they will have to be carried out too.
Sell one and buy the '55 one is my advice.

Ps I, however, have two on the road and another four at the back of the garage under old nylon fitted sheets!

It's not about being sensible is it. Buy them both.
John
Good thinkin' John... Though, as my girl rides, and has ridden 'old' bikes for 15 years more then me, I was pushing to have my G80S as well as the Compy so she has a Matchy to ride in our rallies, rather than riding my old '89 XT250.... hehehehe I know what you mean though!
Matchymarty

Post by Matchymarty »

'55 PURCHASED. :)
I get it in a week.... so have a few days to dream up a way to tell the little lady.... :D
vincentvv

Post by vincentvv »

Well, is the 56 still for sale? Just dreaming...

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Not fired is always a misser!
Matchymarty

Post by Matchymarty »

[quote="vincentvv"]Well, is the 56 still for sale? Just dreaming...

Yes, the '56 is still for sale... but it is in Melbourne Australia... long way from you! I doubt you want to ship it internationally.... but PM me if you want to contact the owner.
sjr

Post by sjr »

Well, did the CS arrive?
Interested to hear your impressions, as a '55 CS martyr myself.
Have you got a picture?
Matchymarty

Post by Matchymarty »

Yes, the '56 arrived.
I love it. A few things to 'work on' and I've only ridden it once since getting it, but, it was a great 100 mile ride.
Impressions?
Chalk and cheese compared to the '55.
The '56, engine characteristics are far different to that of the '55. '56, is smoother, faster revving, and alltogether more responsive. My '56, has an AMC box in it, and it's sublime, especially compared to my CP box in my '49. ahahahaha.

Honestly, engine wise, the '56 feels much more modern to ride, like a current model Honda in comparison to the '55. That said, I love my '55, and I will keep both, as I love the differences.

Think my '55 will need pulling down when I'm finished my 'rally season', as there's oil coming from everywhere, so crank cases need splitting, gearbox, the lot.
the Gearbox has some strange ratios in it too by the feel. 1st to 2nd, 2nd feels very high, and the bike bogs at first, then 3rd to 4th, 4th is very tall also, so it struggles in 4th until you're doing around 55mph. Something to fix when I pull the box apart to stop all the oil leaks.

I currently have both my '55 and '56 fuel tanks off getting painted, so hope to get them back in a couple of weeks. Here's a pic of both of them as they stand. Photo of the '55 shows the bike with a tank off another compy that I borrowed while mine is getting painted.
20160529_124317 (Large).jpg
DSC05266 (Large).JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Expat

Post by Expat »

Nice looking bikes, a credit to you.

Steve
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
Tommy RE

Post by Tommy RE »

Weather looks brill too :D
Expat

Post by Expat »

That's one thing enjoyable here, though humidity is crazy high this time of year.

How is that in Oz?
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)