Potential Purchase - '55 or '56 G80CS??

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
Matchymarty

Potential Purchase - '55 or '56 G80CS??

Post by Matchymarty »

Hi all,

Just after opinions as to which model might be the more desireable G80CS? '55 or '56?
There's a few changes, namely being the '56 engine has the integrated pushrod tubes ,and the removable clutch cover from the chaincase... amoung other things.

I'm thinking the '55 as it is the 'last of the push rod tubes', plus, I like the look of them, however, the '56 will leak less! ahahaha.
I have one of each to choose from, so opinions are appreciated.

Cheers.
alanengineer

Re: Potential Purchase - '55 or '56 G80CS??

Post by alanengineer »

I would buy the one that i personally thought looked and rode the best. Do your homework and dream on it for a few days. The answer is in their somewhere
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Sell your children , granny or yer missis and buy both :rofl: :rofl:

Try both and see what you are happy with :beer:
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Having both I'll tell you there is a difference to the way both bikes ride. The long stroke 55 has a more forgiving nature and is happy to plod along at lower speeds and has the ability to still pull from lower revs. The 56 short stroke is much revvier and because of the stroke you have to keep it on the go. The short stroke is also not as quiet a motor especially with the scrambles cams, however it is a quicker motor than the long stroke.
The choice ultimately depends on the type of riding style you like to do most.

Desirability, the 56 will command more money.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I've never had either but like you I find the exposed pushrod tubes have a fundamental elegance and are mechanically erotic,...........
......rather like bra straps. :oops:
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

Or suspenders :oops: :D
Chemists do it with test tubes
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

Would that I had the choice between such desirable machines! I have never been offered either, let alone both- they are both equally desirable so get the pair if you can! Andy
Matchymarty

Post by Matchymarty »

Crikey... Thanks for the comments...
I mostly do road rally's with the Historical club guys, so road riding is key. That said, I think I prefer the look of the '55, with the tool boxes etc. Plus, I do like the long stroke motor.

I can't see the little lady allowing the purchase of both, and I may well have to sell my '49 G80S to make the upgrade as it were. I really hate to think, as I've just got all the bugs out of the '49, and love it.
Perhaps I can sell my daily ride and ride the Matchy to work, or take the train to keep both matchy's.

:)
JohnHewes

Post by JohnHewes »

What a dilemma!
The sensible thing to do, of course, is to sell one of your current bikes to buy another. No space problems and it keeps her happy.
I think that one bike is enough, you can give it all your time and love and not feel guilty about the others languishing at the back of the garage covered with old nylon fitted sheets, or wondering what will happen to them when you are gone, and they will have to be carried out too.
Sell one and buy the '55 one is my advice.

Ps I, however, have two on the road and another four at the back of the garage under old nylon fitted sheets!

It's not about being sensible is it. Buy them both.
John
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Matchymarty wrote: I can't see the little lady allowing the purchase of both, and I may well have to sell my '49 G80S to make the upgrade as it were. :)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'