Using Enfield piston rings in a '55 18CS

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
sjr

Re: Using Enfield piston rings in a '55 18CS

Post by sjr »

I have done Neville, no joy I'm afraid.
One of Don Madden's contacts is asking around for me in the USA.
Since the piston originated there its probably my best chance of getting the real thing.
If it doesnt work out I'll probably go down the Enfield route.

Steve
bjork

Post by bjork »

sjr wrote:I have done Neville, no joy I'm afraid.
One of Don Madden's contacts is asking around for me in the USA.
Since the piston originated there its probably my best chance of getting the real thing.
If it doesnt work out I'll probably go down the Enfield route.

Steve
Did you try Cox and Turner engineering? They can usually help.
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
sjr

Post by sjr »

Don Madden wrote:Robbins was an American company, now defunct. The pistons they made were form & fit direct replacement for the AMC bikes. The size, weight & rings were close. The maker closed long ago but a large stock of new parts circulated among suppliers for some time. A couple of years ago, the remaining stock was purchased by the North American Section of AMOC & there may be a few bits left. Contact our secretary: John Diederich, cycletoys@aol.com. Cheers! Don
Don, there are no Robbins rings any more, but your recommendations produced a result. John Diederich recommended Ad Coppens who in turn recommended Total Seal in Phoenix, AZ. Their phone number is +1 800 874 2753. There I spoke with Ed Law who assured me they could make the compression rings to my dimensions, and they have done so! Product already arrived. Service was fast and efficient, managed by Total Seal's agent in UK Dave Powell (Performance Unlimited in York, tel 01904 489332). Scraper ring is not possible since they don't make the slotted type any more, but that's no great problem, I will put the old one back in, the big gap will be fine especially since I shall place it at the back where the bore is oil starved anyway.

So many thanks for your help. It paid off.

:beer:
Steve