footrests

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
mollymole

footrests

Post by mollymole »

The footrests on my G80cs were not fitted to the bike when it was purchased.The boss through which the supporting rod goes is longer on one than the other and there is a spacer which makes up the difference between the 2.I noticed the part Nos. are different for left and right ones and there is aspacer listed. my question is which side near or off are they intended to fit as it seems they will go either way .Presumably the one with the spacer is easier to remove,Iam thinking its possibly to allow access to something, but not sure what.
clive

Re: footrests

Post by clive »

Primary chaincase?
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
ajsph

Post by ajsph »

On my G11CS I have fitted the short one on the exhaust side, and it is very usefull when you are fitting the exhaust. First I tried to fit the exhaust with the footrest in place, not an easy job, then I removed the footrest, fitted the siamese pipes loose in the heads, then I tilted the footrest 90 degrees and fitted it over the bottom tube, then tilted it back again and pushed it back to line up with the hole in the frame, placed the spacer between the footrest and the engine plate, then tightend the footrest and the pipes, an easy way to fit the pipes without scratching the pipe and paint
Poul Hansen
Denmark
mollymole

Post by mollymole »

I have had `another look over the weekend and I think your right about the exhaust pipe.The primary chain case can be removed with the fixed footrest in place but not the exhaust ,so will go with the short one on the off side.thanks.
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

The CS models have a large pipe & large scallop cut of the R/H footrest for clearance. On some DIY projects I've had to grind more off the footrest, probably not the original. The L/H one has a smaller scallop to clear the chaincase The L/H footrest can be slid forward to fit the band, then back in place. I have always been able to slide the exhaust pipe in over the footrest but it is necessary to rotate it & work into place On a 1956 18CS I hade to remove the nut tying the rear fram to front & work it in from the rear. There are several variations of competition footrests & after 50 odd years, many are mixes. Cheers! Don.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

interesting summise Don, I have comp footrests on my bitsa, they mount inside the frame rails but there is no mounting on the outer so as to straddle the rails as some are illustrated, also ther is no way in hell I could get an exhaust to run over the top of a rest it is far to close to the gearbox shell, could the gearbox be slightly higher in a comp frame or were engine plates slightly different? I cannot seem to get an answer as to why the rests are so close, kind regards
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

I have a 1956 18CS up on my workbench for renovation. Send me a PM & I'll reply with photos of the footrests in situ. Cheers! Don.
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

I have posted photos on the "Photos" page. This bike was obtained long ago in many boxes with many parts missing. The pipe would not clear the R/H footrest, requiring much grinding & filing & a slight bash to the top of the pipe to fit. Because the stud protrudes, I had to work it past the footrest from the rear but with duplex framed bikes with the tab I slip them in from the front. If any other info is needed send a PM. Cheers! Don.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

thanks Don, I have had a look at your pics, the footrests you show are a little wider than mine and have the boss on both sides of the lower frame tube, I will try to take some pics of mine and get swmbo to post them perhaps, kind regards
mollymole

Post by mollymole »

Thanks for the photos Don,looks the same as mine I haven,t purchased the exhaust pipe yet, I believe we have a couple of suppliers in the uk not sure yet which one to choose.I will put the barrel on and go for the pipe next as it seems fitting might present a problem.