Matchless G80CS

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
Franciscus

Matchless G80CS

Post by Franciscus »

Due to get back to motorcycles after knee problems I have bought a 1961 Matchless G80CS
1961 because I never had a motorcycle of my year of birth.

My question is there is a rightside oiltank mounted on the bike instead of normally common left side oiltank
the oiltank mounted on the bike has the oilcap with a small angle of degrees different than others I`have seen
what is true about it ? maybe someone might know
My plan is to make it totally Original again
This G80CS was made for Street use and not a real MX bike :roll:
Franciscus

Re: Matchless G80CS

Post by Franciscus »

Franciscus wrote:Due to get back to motorcycles after knee problems I have bought a 1961 Matchless G80CS
1961 because I never had a motorcycle of my year of birth.

My question is there is a rightside oiltank mounted on the bike instead of normally common left side oiltank
the oiltank mounted on the bike has the oilcap with a small angle of degrees different than others I`have seen
what is true about it ? maybe someone might know
My plan is to make it totally Original again
This G80CS was made for Street use and not a real MX bike :roll:
a while basck got information of the bike and frame,engine and gearnumber mached
clive

Post by clive »

a photo would help
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

Answers to such questions about original configuration are often disputed, but here goes from one who owned these bikes "Back in the Day" & I have a 1961 G80TCS. The TCS has slight variations from the G80CS. All the CS models were built for competition in the competition shop, not the production line & were intended for, well, competition. The biggest market was for off road races in the US, which often were for hundreds of miles so lighting kits & silencers were made available, frequently fitted at purchase. These heavyweights became obsolete in the mid-60s by the powerful & light two-strokes & then many were bought for street or trail use. Since most of the open lands in the southwest US are public owned, regulations were passed requiring registration & minimum street equipment to use them, as is in effect today.

The 1956 touring bikes were fitted with the new "pannier" oil tank but that year CS had a smaller version of the old "lumpy" tank, 1957-59 had R/H side pannier tanks with special mountings. In 1960 the L/H oil tank was introduced & all subsequent CS used them until the end. The later 1963 rounded oil tanks & tool boxes were never used on the G80CS. Spares lists will verify these comments. The L/H side oil thanks are rare & expensive so have been replaced by others in some cases. The North American Section has commissioned new replacements in limited numbers, as well as other "tinware" unique to scramblers. We have pattern air filters & battery holders as well. Cheers, Don. 8-)
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

Hello Don,

thanks for the awnser.......this made it pretty clear to me
the bike is soon getting dismantled as more things on the bike are changed during the years
the engine plates are chromed.......don,t know why
and so there are other things not right
most important is the numbers matching, these are a few months ago checked by you
(send a PM )

I want the Gp1 1 3/8" carburettor back on the bike that I have on the shelf
this is why I am in need of a left side oiltank
started with painting the engine plates and get gearbox and engine back.
a good basis to start
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

Don't forget that the L/H oil tank has a unique lower mount, a hex spacer with studs at each end into rubber grommet on tank. I know of no source for the spacer other than making one. The gearbox has twin adjusters mounted outboard of the rear plates. The air cleaner for 1961 is the tubular type mounted on the right & battery box just below. These are available from the NA section. Cheers! Don. 8-)
BillTS3

Post by BillTS3 »

If its any help, I just happen to have a picture of a very original 1961 G80CS (61/G80CS/49xx)

BillT

just got it from the widow of the second owner, who bought it from his friend, the original owner, in early 1962. :D
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

Hello BillTS3

the rearbrake-plate of the rear-wheel is chromed, is that correct ?
if so the plate has to chromed again
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

The Rear brake cover plate listed in the spares list is the same as other heavyweights & consists of a black painted plate with a thin, chromed cover riveted on. I have obtained kits with the chromed cover & rivets from AMOC Parts in the past. Cheers, Don. 8-)
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

Hello Don, Yes I see it now......small rivets
the chrome is very acceptable.......no rust
just cleaned it up........some scratches from small stones in the past, but yeah it is a 1961 bike !
Decided to keep it as it is now.......better old genuine chrome shiny with some small scratches than
new chrome with a replica chrome cover
when it is all full of rust than it is clear....I would change
the rims are so nice >> dunlop made in England and genuine spokes ( no stainless for me :) )

pre owner was sort of chrome freak
engine plates >> chrome, lampears > chrome brake pedal > chrome
side stand > chrome foothpegs > chrome
would have cost him a lot of $$$........all are genuine black ( looked on picture`s )