Wiring Diagram for '61 G80/CS

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
BillTS3

Wiring Diagram for '61 G80/CS

Post by BillTS3 »

Just acquired a 1961 G80CS (61/G80CS/41xx), two-owner bike with 4900 miles. Here's a bit of background on it:

The recently-deceased owner bought it from a mate in early 1962, and kept it garaged and largely unmolested. He passed after a long illness (Parkinson's) and was unable to ride the bike for the past 15 years or so. Three or four years ago, a couple of his nephews came over and tried to start the bike. They were able to do this after cutting the lighting switch out of the harness. Aside from this minor butchery, the bike is in surprisingly pristine condition, and will be preserved rather than restored, with regular excursions once I get it home and running.

This bike has a magneto, a headlight with the QD plug on the bottom, Lucas ammeter and push-push dip switch in the shell (painted black). The Tail light assembly is a similar QD assembly, with a pair of pigtails for the light. The light switch was apparently mounted to a bracket under the left front of the seat, very similar to the ignition bracket on my G15CS.

The bike came with an owner manual, but the wiring diagram shows distributor ignition - no diagram for a CS with magneto and the optional lighting kit. I looked through Christian's archives, but no luck.

Does anyone here have this information.

Bike was sold new in Providence, Rhode Island, and has resided in Florida the past 40 years.
Last edited by BillTS3 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPRIDDLER

Re: Wiring Diagram for '61 G80/CS

Post by SPRIDDLER »

BillTS3 wrote: Three or four years ago, a couple of his nephews came over and tried to start the bike. They were able to do this after cutting the lighting switch out of the harness.
:? Just a quick aside......

Removing the lighting switch from the circuit would have no effect on starting a mag ignition engine.
It may have been a 'secret' mag cut-out rather than a lighting switch.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
BillTS3

Post by BillTS3 »

Yes, I know, but cutting that switch out was what was done. This is my first magneto bike, so am not familiar with the harness. Perhaps the P/O had wired a secret magneto cutout.

Would like to see a wiring harness, as this is my first magneto bike (My G15 is a late one, so has a distributor)
Colin F

Post by Colin F »

Bill will send a copy if the message system allows attachments!
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

BillTS3 wrote:Yes, I know,
But I didn't know you knew ;)

"There are known knowns. These are things we know that we know.
There are known unknowns. That is to say, there are things that we know we don't know.
But there are also unknown unknowns which are things we don't know we don't know".

Donald Rumsfeld
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

oooh Spridders! have a word with nursey,

Bill, I wouldn't thought it much different to the earlier G80Cs, just the switch in a differing place but similar to the pre unit Triumph, if you have no joy I have the wiring diagrams for a G80 mag bike so could copy and perhaps post to you, kind regards
Colin F

Post by Colin F »

GOLDSTAR wrote: Bill, I wouldn't thought it much different to the earlier G80Cs, just the switch in a differing place but similar to the pre unit Triumph, if you have no joy I have the wiring diagrams for a G80 mag bike so could copy and perhaps post to you, kind regards
Richard it is different by quite a bit from the standard G80CS without the QD headlamp!
I am waiting for Bill to reply to my email then I can send a scan of the correct diagram, club emails don't seem to have a facility for attachments! :headbang:
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

righto Colin, will leave it to you then, kind regards
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

The wiring for the 1960-up G80CS is similar to the wiring diagram in the 1957-64 Workshop Manual titled: Matchless G15CSR & AJS 31CSR... except for the dual 6v batteries & QD plug in the headlamp shell. There is an accurate diagram in the Norton G85CS.G80CS-P11 manual but I don't see a copy in Christian's Archives. Colin's diagram will be correct & he made the wire harness for my 1961 G80CS, which fits perfectly. Cheers, Don. 8-)
BillTS3

Post by BillTS3 »

Don Madden wrote: There is an accurate diagram in the Norton G85CS.G80CS-P11 manual... Cheers, Don. 8-)
Thanks Don, I have that manual - Fig. 30 on p52 is the diagram. I never looked at it closely until just now. My Ranger is a distributor bike, so I refer to Fig. 31 on p55 of that same manual.

Colin, I sent you a PM.

I hope to be well-studied when it comes home next month - I want to have it sorted in time to take to Birmingham (Alabama, US) in October for the Barber Vintage festival.