G80TCS 1961

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
Melrose

G80TCS 1961

Post by Melrose »

Can anyone out there tell me where I can get Hades red paint for the tank on my G80TCS. I believe this was an export colour. My bike came in from the US.
Thank you in advance.
Ian Melrose
SPRIDDLER

Re: G80TCS 1961

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Have a look at this website. Quote: "We have the world's largest database of motorcycle colours"
A '61 G80CS is shown as Cardinal Red. A couple of pals have used Candy Apple Red which looks great but I'm no expert on colours- all my bikes have been Henry Ford black.

http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-gb/colour ... dyear=1961
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Melrose

Post by Melrose »

Thank you for your reply. I will give them a try.
My bike is an export model and after my research I have found that Hades red is the US export colour and cardinal red the UK colour.
Melrose

Post by Melrose »

Thank you member Spriddler. I have tried the company you recommended but the only colour they have for the CS range is Cardinal red which is the UK colour. I need Hedes red for the US models. I did send them an email but they did not reply.
So if I want to have my bike correct I am still looking.
Thanks again.

Ian Melrose
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Shame.
Do you have a component in the red you want that can be matched? There are suppliers who can match to sample.

On the, ahem, Hardly Ableson website they show a red machine in the Hades colour:
http://www.harley-news.ch/mandant/files ... -Maint.pdf

Might be worth checking if their 'Hades' red is what you're looking for........see page 726 which shows a red bike with this caption:

'A. Radical Custom Collection – Touring Models – [colour] Hades'
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Is it possible that “Hades” red and “Cardinal” red are the same colour and the name was changed to sound more exciting for the American market?
Melrose

Post by Melrose »

Unfortunately I no longer have a bike with that colour on it to use as a sample.
I have had bikes with this colour before so I do not think it is a marketing ploy by changing the name of the colour for the US market.
Thank you for your input guy's.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Hmm, bit difficult if you don't have a physical sample of the Hades colour.
Where are you based Melrose?
Found this, posted by enthusiast John Diederich, (who is the AMOC representative in America and parts supplier) re his '61 bike which would suggest that Cardinal Red was used in '61 for the USA market:

Mail from John Diederich:
AMC PAINT COLORS
At the request of a fellow Matchless enthusiast I took my original 1961 G12CSR gas tank to the
local Dupont paint supplier to have the Cardinal Red paint analized by Spectrograph.
The results were analyzed in a computer and a formula developed from which one pint of
Dupont Base Coat could be mixed. Clear coat needs to be applied on top of this.
I'll print the formula below, but first an explanation:
The first column is the Dupont paint #, the second column the description of that number, and
the third column is the weight in grams of the formula to that point. In other words the LS Red
Oxide weighs 113.7 grams; 34.4 grams of Opaque Red are added, bringing the weight to 148.1
grams, and so on.
1961 Matchless Cardinal Red:
This formula makes one pint:
884J LS Red Oxide 113.7
886J Opaque Red 148.1
866J Red Violet 153.5
801J HS White 156.2
150K B/C Balancer 435.5
1958-1960 (?) AJS Light Blue (Mediterranean Blue)
This formula makes one quart:
801J HS White 176.0
828J HS Fast Blue 258.8
830J HS Fast Green 286.6
806J HS Black 302.2
150K B/C Balancer
745.8 175K Binder 924.8
If you don't have a local Dupont paint supplier, this firm will mix the paint and send it to you. The
company is FinishMaster. They are in Charlotte, North Carolina, and their phone # is 704-522-
7161. Their toll-free # is 800-521-7161. They do accept VISA & Mastercard.
Melrose

Post by Melrose »

I am based in London UK.
You have gone out of your way on this and I thank you for it.
It sure does look like your man in the US knows his stuff and he might be right. It is very hard to tell as the sunlight in the US tends to fade the colours.. I have been reading Roy Bacons book on AJS/Matchless and on page 178 he say's the CSR models came with standard Matchless red and the TCS export only Hades red.
I am at a loss now. If I cannot find Hades red I will have to go with the Cardinal red.