P11 Part number needed please

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
charlski

P11 Part number needed please

Post by charlski »

Hi, anyone know the part number for the oil tank drain screw for a P11 ... my parts book doesnt list it so im guessing my parts book is for the early models that didnt have drain srews in the oil tank.

Many thanks

KC
Rob Harknett

Re: P11 Part number needed please

Post by Rob Harknett »

Not in the P11 parts book as the oil tank never had a drain plug.
G15CS, N15CS & G15CSR did have a drain plug pt. no. 13765. drain plug washer pt. no. 000200
parts lists states, not on P11. Perhaps your oil tank was off one of the other 3 models. So tell people you fitted the drain plug cos you was fed up with taking off the oil pipes to drain the oil.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

Rob , The P11 does have a drain plug . I believe the first production ones were made without but by the time they were steel and in production they remembered to fit a drain plug - much easier to get the oil out !
Those that know will reply as soon as they see the posting
John Donne

Post by John Donne »

The P11 never had a drain plug? Well that is news to me, and the first time i ever heard than one before. The P11 series from 121007 to 129145 had five different oil tanks. Three alloy and two steel. The first one did not have a drain plug, and it was made of alloy, with out any reinforcing. The second alloy one had a drain plug and was reinforced to stop it cracking along its seams when in use. The third one was also alloy and used on the first P11A's and employed the later filler neck location, with the rubber reinforcing. The later P11A series or forth one used a steel oil tank, and the two metal brackets and rubber tubing with mounting brackets. The fifth steel oil tank used was as per the forth, but had a reinforcing strengthening strip around the centre of the oil tank. I have two of the alloy and one of the steel oil tanks, but i have seen physically the other two so i know they exsist. As for the drain plug part number it is as follows. Drain plug 13765, and the drain plug washer is 000200. These are the same as fitted to the Norton Atlas and 650ss models from the 1960's, so they use a Norton part number and not the AMC part numbers. The reason the first P11's did not have a drain plug was because when the prototype came to England, it had an across the frame one gallon oil tank. So when it was put into production and dispacthed from March 1967 this was a sort of over sight. This was quickly sorted, after Berliner complained very vocally to Plumstead via 2am phone call to one of the factory personel to F***** well fix it, like now.
I have the factory build book for the P11 so i know that i am right. :lol:
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I am only refering to parts listhttp://archives.jampot.dk/Book/Spares_lists/1967-1968_Norton_Villiers_Spares_List_(Hybrids).pdf check for yourself. It cleraly states " all except P11 " or maybe my late night eyesight is playing up again
charlski

Post by charlski »

Thanks for the part number ...... as John says ... definetely has a drain plug ... think my parts book must be one of the early ones before the 2nd tank was fitted.

KC
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

1967 -68.png
This is what I saw for 1967/68
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Donne

Post by John Donne »

I have the hand written by the factory at Norton Matchless divison in Plumstead, 1969 version of the P11A, and the P11A Ranger 750. as well as all the Norton models from 1968 through to 1969. The parts book for 1968 only goes to engine and frame number 126123, and i have the parts book from 128646 to 129145, that also shows all the 035 part numbers. Try the drain plug from RGM, as it is a magnetic one and a really good up grade for the oil tanks, as fitted to the Norton Atlas oil tanks. I have fitted them to my G15CSR, an my other G15, N15 models.
If you can get a copy of Classic Bike Guide, August 2007 and look on page 52 you will see three of the above mentioned oil tanks that i supplied for the article. This was a very comprehensive feature on the P11 series from page 48, and allot of the info covered was supplied by me. It was a really great day out, and it should help all owners of all of the P11 series of bikes. 8-)
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I think is era is a bit of a jigsaw puzzle of parts lists and errata's. They all need to come together in a file.
If you look at the parts list part I snaped, you will also see , for filler cap " not on P11.
I guess thats why theres no drain plug listed, as theres no filler cap to put oil in the tank, I does not need a drain plug.
charlski

Post by charlski »

Thanks John ... i have that article along with other old P11 features in mags ... the one thing i never understood about that article was how they got the editorial so wrong ... in terms of they describe the hubs correctly stating how the earlier ones had the ribs machined off and the later ones didnt ... but show 2 completely wrong photos describing this, both with ribs machined off but one with the side plate on and the other off .... and also how they describe the 3 different oil tanks ... but describe them from left to right back to front ...... showing the early unbraced one and describing it as later braced, and showing the later braced one and describing it as unbraced ..... i guess the ed didnt quite dot the I's and cross the T,s ...... good article overall though !! one last question on the P11 do you have a list of all the decals used and where they were placed (ie oil fill decals, Telehydraulic fork decals, reynolds frame etc etc, i beileve there was also a made in england ... but was there a reserve decal by the reserve fuel tap on the tank ???? Thanks for any help

KC