P11 Part number needed please

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
John Donne

Re: P11 Part number needed please

Post by John Donne »

I have a list as well as pictures of all the decals and where they were placed, along with all their relevant part numbers, for all of the P11 series of bikes. I also have original transfers, and also an original Green Ball transfer, the one that was used on some of the P11A's. The P11 used different transfers and location through out its short production life, from March 1967 to October 1968. The later P11A Ranger 750's used 035 transfer part numbers, as well as a Made in England transfer that was applied to the rear mudguard. I completed this chapter for my book a few years back. There was alos different types of the Reynolds 531 transfer used between the earlier and later bikes. I have some originals of these also.
Tim Britton in a later editon of CBG, wrote an apology for the all the mistakes. The caption for the oil tanks are opposite to what is shown. I can tell them, show them but what ultimatly comes out in print is very much beyond my control. That is all down to the editor and Morton Publications. :lol:
John Donne

Post by John Donne »

The reserve decal was also used on the Commando's and they are still avilable under the old part number. The P11 were fitted with the reserve transfer on the lower part of the tank where the reserve fuel tap was located. I bought a brand new 3.6 gallon petrol tank from Russell Motors back in 1971 and it had the reserve transfer on it. I still have that tank, and it is the correct one for my single seat P11. The Made in England transfers were only applied to the P11A Ranger 750's and were also used on the later Triumph twins and Commando's. 8-)
charlski

Post by charlski »

John Donne ... is the P11 on american e bay right now painted with the original polychromatic blue ??? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271205764971? ... 1438.l2648

Cheers

KC
John Donne

Post by John Donne »

There were some P11A's that were painted in a blue colour as i have the pictures from when the owners bought them new, posing with them. I bought a P11A Ranger 750 from the USA back in the early 1980's that had been painted in blue, but you could still see the original Candy Apple red underneath the blue paint. It could also have had that paint applied by Berliner in New Jersey. I also found another P11A Ranger 750 that was for sale at the time in the USA, and was also painted in the same shade of blue, and i still have the pictures of it.
I looked up that engine and frame number, and what the owner is saying looks like it could be correct for the engine and frame numbers. The records do not give any colours for the P11 or the G15 models in the dispatch records. Plumstead was experimenting with different colours for the P11A's as well as different seat cover colours. There was a candy apple red and white, one in blue and white with a grey and black dual seat, an orange and white, with a grey and black dual seat. There also some variations on the red and white theme with different types of colours being applied to the petrol tank. There is also a green P11A in the NMM which was restored by Mick Bell. I also have all the pictures of these prototype paint schemes that the factory tried, and if they had sold them with these paint scheme applied these bikes would have flown out the door, as they looked that cool and that good. A sort of another if only, and what might have been, or chance not taken, or road not travelled. :lol: