G80CS fork covers

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
aljobo

G80CS fork covers

Post by aljobo »

On the exploded diagrams of the forks, it shows the large rubber washer apparently placed UNDER the aluminium ring at the base of the top cover/shroud. Assembled this way, there's a gap at the top, whereas if the rubber washer is placed between the top aluminium ring and the underside of the top yoke, the fit is perfect. Something's wrong...
As I have realised that such diagrams are sometimes misleading, so can someone please confirm the correct order of assembly?
Thanks, Allan
Rob Harknett

Re: G80CS fork covers

Post by Rob Harknett »

Sounds like the shroud is not fitting into the alloy ring.
aljobo

G80CS fork covers

Post by aljobo »

Hi Rob - everything is fine fit-wise for the rings. The issue is more the order in which each part is placed, particularly the thick rubber ring. Allan
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

http://archives.jampot.dk/Technical/Sus ... y_1966.pdf
I believe I see what you are getting at Alan, the metal ring on parts list and exploded views seems to be shown
upside down. Try the link above.
aljobo

Post by aljobo »

Hi Rob,
I think you've answered the question.
On page 1 of the attachment, I can see that there is a (rubber, probably) washer under the ally ring at the bottom of the top shroud. Thank you!
Now..I have the problem of the gap which is left between the ally cap at the top of the shroud and the underside of the top yoke.
I have also discovered that the fork sliders aren't G80 CS, as they have only one mudguard attachment point at the back...!
All in all, this is perhaps the overall problem, in that the top shroud may be the wrong one, too.
That's the trouble with restoring classic competition bikes, I suppose.