G85CS possibility?

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
aljobo

Re: G85CS possibility?

Post by aljobo »

To reply to Geoff and Knut - the engine is one that was bought new from Russell Motors in 1973 and stored until it was sold to me. It doesn't carry any numbering, and I believe it is a non-alternator equipped model (if that makes sense).
What I see is that the only sensible application (other than the display role) is to put it in a Rickmann frame. At least that way I have some chance of ending up with a worthwhile bike.
Allan
wilko

Post by wilko »

show us a picture of the driveside shaft.

Post by 242017 »

So the engine is a G80cs fitted with a norton oil pump and not a G85cs engine

Why not a Cheney Frame?...they dont brake as quickly as a Rickman frame...if used for off road....
Marty

Post by Marty »

Why not fit it in a Featherbed . Makes a lovely special- have a look at Ken Odlins' if you get a chance. I have a set of alloy engine/gearbox plates if needed
Marty
Franciscus

Post by Franciscus »

after AMC closed their factory @ plumstead rd there were at least sold spare parts for 5 years or more due to secure garrantee
Had bought some NOS cases from a guy in Holland with no stamped numbers
they came rom that spare depot
cheers Frank
aljobo

G85CS possibility?

Post by aljobo »

Thanks to everybody that has contributed to the thread.
On nomenclature, the G80/85 question is (almost) irrelevant but for the oil pump. My engine is correct to put into a later bike but, since there are no original frames around for sale, I will probably go the scrambler route, as I can't cope with drop handlebars and I've got other touring road bikes to satisfy me.
I have been restoring a G80CS meantime and have learned that it's no straightforward task!!! Rear engine plates have proved impossible to find, even at Russell Motors warehouse, and the ones I have were made by a butcher's apprentice in aluminium, so binned. I'm having them remade in steel. A piston has come from the US along with a vented side cover plate; the big end is new, along with tinware also from the US of A. It'll be a handsome bike, but at a cost...
Cerberus

Post by Cerberus »

This thread seems to have been posted to by a "non existent user", and keeps re-appearing in my "unread" postings list. I'm wondering if I put up a "dummy" post whether it will force it to "go away"?
raffles

Post by raffles »

The G85 scramblers used by Vic Eastwood Dave Nichol Dave Curtis and I am fairly shaw Geof Wards AJS were all 600cc
dont know about the road bikes but I have a friend who claims his G80cs road model is a600cc.
Tony

Post by 242017 »

"The G85 scramblers used by Vic Eastwood Dave Nichol Dave Curtis and I am fairly shaw Geof Wards AJS were all 600cc"

So why would you assume that ??