P11 Cylinder Barrel Removal

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
Rob Harknett

Re: P11 Cylinder Barrel Removal

Post by Rob Harknett »

A manual is always handy to have Kevin. If only to refresh your memory.
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

I have a 67 P11 , and you can get the head off on it's own , not that difficult just a bit fiddly .
From memory you need to remove the head and push rods at the same time to get access
much easier that a full engine removal job
petert120r

Post by petert120r »

The trick on Norton Dominators (the Atlas engine is pretty much the same) is to lift the head about an inch clear of the barrel, hold it in place with suitable spacers then disconnect the pushrods from the tappets and push them up as far as possible. Use some sort of wedge to hold them in place (bits of folded cardboard will do) and the head can then be tilted and removed towards the rear.
Marty

Post by Marty »

Sorry for the slow reply but have been away for 5 weeks. I removed the head and barrel as a unit leaving the crankcases in the frame. There is not much room but it can be done, whatever the books and others say. Forgot to say the exhaust must be removed also but guess you had figured that.Hope you were successful also
Marty
Groily

Post by Groily »

The head (only) can be removed in the frame (on a '67 P11 anyway), been there, done it, cursed a lot - I hated every single minute! I had to go there to replace a stripped barrel base stud and nut. As I recall, what I did was slacken off all the rockers, push the pushrods right up into the head as far as they would go, out of their sockets, and - just - wiggle the head clear with the rods held up in there. And same for reassembly. Quite horrible and makes playing with the rockers on pre-unit Beesa twins (my previous 'most-hated' job) seem like child's play. Good Luck!!