Headlight G80CS

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
aljobo

Headlight G80CS

Post by aljobo »

Anyone have a recommendation for the headlamp on the 1961 G80CS, please? Frame c9801.
I know they were a separate kit that could be ordered with the bike when new, so I'm assuming it came with a plug-in socket. Was it chromed or painted? I also read somewhere that the switch was under the seat. Attached in what way? Could the switch also be available incorporated into the headlamp shell?
As Stafford is tomorrow, I'd like to track down the right one.
Thanks!Edited by - aljobo on 19 Oct 2012 11:57:23 AM
Rob Harknett

Headlight G80CS

Post by Rob Harknett »

You should find that for the G80CS all lighting equipment was the same as the G12CS. So you will be looking for a headlamp with the switch & ampmetre Lucas pt. no. 58518A. rear lamp 53429A
Colin F

Headlight G80CS

Post by Colin F »

Most of them had a SA41 switch on a bracket under the seat, the headlamp only had an ammeter in it and there was an alloy 5 pin comp. plug and socket to enable the headlamp to be remove for competition work.

The correct headlamp shell can be identified by the wiring "cut out" underneath it's a round hole with 4 slots radiating out (each just over 1/4" long) for the bolts to attach the socket. But the term "hen's teeth" comes to mind, I've only seen one in over 20 years that was not actually on a bike and for sale.

Any of the headlights for magneto bikes will do as those who did not order a kit but put lights on later would have bought off the shelf items, ideally you want a 2 hole one, ammeter and light switch, but an ammeter only one will do as the switch can go under the seat.
Don Madden

Headlight G80CS

Post by Don Madden »

Colin knows his electrics, he provided an exellent harness for my restored 1961 G80CS. He did not mention that the dipper switch, a push-on, push-off type, is also located in the shell just aft of the ammeter. The G12CS got the shell with the ammerer/switch panel on top which requires different wiring arrangement to the proper one with switch under the seat nose. It is not a trivial difference due to the many wires for lighting & alternator control. The North American section can provide replicas of the switch housing & its' mounting bracket but not the switch itself, which is unique to the CS. Cheers, Don.
Rob Harknett

Headlight G80CS

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ah so the 1960 parts list was wrong for 61 there are changes made in the 61 parts list suppliment for the G80CS. I checked, theres no change for 1961, so what I stated above is correct acording to the parts list. Don USA may had differed from GB & europe I believe France was also an exceptionEdited by - Rob Harknett on 19 Oct 2012 6:09:39 PM
aljobo

Headlight G80CS

Post by aljobo »

Thank you all for the replies. Now I know what is realistic to fit, because I had a feeling the original would be made from unobtainium. This substance has followed me systematically through all my renovations and restorations!
Hopefully there will be a few of the better suppliers at Stafford tomorrow because I also have a Velo Venom Clubman needing full rebuild, too.Edited by - aljobo on 19 Oct 2012 9:53:25 PM
Don Madden

Headlight G80CS

Post by Don Madden »

I have found that the most accurate list of electrical equipment is the Lucas spares manual which shows the varients for export machines as well as home market. I shows the proper headlamp for all 1960-61 G80CS to be 58586A, generially type ss700P. Cheers, Don.
Colin F

Headlight G80CS

Post by Colin F »

quote:
He did not mention that the dipper switch, a push-on, push-off type, is also located in the shell just aft of the ammeter.

The North American section can provide replicas of the switch housing & its' mounting bracket but not the switch itself, which is unique to the CS. Cheers, Don.

Don, are you implying that the light switch or dipper switch is unique to the CS??

I too always thought the dipper switch was unique to the CS but today I saw another one at Stafford show, it was in a NOS headlamp shell that was definatly not AMC. The asking price was silly so it is still there! but looking at the switch I think I can get them remanufactured to the same standard as the Comp H/L plugs, but and the big ask is I would need an original in good condition as a pattern to borrow..... also some indication of interest if I went ahead so I could gauge how many units to get made.
aljobo

Headlight G80CS

Post by aljobo »

Thanks, Don, for the clarification on the headlamp and dipswitch, and thanks also to Colin.
Colin, as I need a loom for mine, do you supply them still? I'd be a taker for the dips witch, too.
Stafford was great for the Velocette, but there wasn't a G80CS there (at least I didn't see any), which would have inspired me on the rebuild.
I really would like to find a headlamp that was close to the original, so does anyone have one for sale, or know who has?
Lastly, my bike is a dark moss green. Is this a "standard" colour and, if so, can anyone identify it?
Don Madden

Headlight G80CS

Post by Don Madden »

The lighting switch ls listed as type 41SA, which controls pilot, tail, speedometer & headlamp as well as switching alternator outputs to qproximate loads. It attaches the wires with screw posts except one alternor lead which is a bullet type. Most of the touring models used a socket that matched the plug on the back of the switch. The PS9 push-push dipper is also used by other makes of on-off road bikes as BSA B44VS Victor with small headlamp & I have had no problem finding them on ebay. The wire harness that Colin provided matched everything perfectly & is very well made but reasonable cost. Cheers, Don.