Headlight G80CS

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
Colin F

Headlight G80CS

Post by Colin F »

Ok just to clear this up, the CS "should have" 41SA lighting switch on mounting under seat nose, NA section can provide the mounting I have the switch in stock.
The headlamp is 7" and should have 2 holes, one behind the other, front hole ammeter, rear hole dipper which Don said is normally available on ebay.
I still have a small stock of competition headlamp QD plugs and sockets and can make up to a loom.

Allan contact me off forum about headlamp options.
rex.webb

Headlight G80CS

Post by rex.webb »

Is that Dipper Switch the same as fitted to Tiger Cubs with detachable H/lamps ?.
A Lucas part .
Ride with CARE and LIVE LONG to ENJOY your Bikes and Scooters.
r w webb
Don Madden

Headlight G80CS

Post by Don Madden »

Problably, some Triumph "C" type bikes did use the same switch. Cheers, Don.
torker

Headlight G80CS

Post by torker »

Is the dipper/horn switch on 1963/64 G80CS located on the left handlebar? If so, is there a seperate hole in the headlamp shell for these wires, since the QD plug does not accommodate these wires? If their is a extra hole where is it located on the shell?

Thanks Tim
Don Madden

Headlight G80CS

Post by Don Madden »

The Lucas spares list shows only the 1960-61 CS using the PS9 dipper, all others using the same as touring, the Type 9 handlebar mounted. The blue wire, common, goes to contact 2 of the lighting switch. The electrics of the later CS are not well documented. Cheers, Don.
aljobo

Re: Headlight G80CS

Post by aljobo »

Unable to find a good replacement for the rough-ish headlight I had, I got it cleaned up and painted black. It still needed a hole for the push-on/push-off dip switch, but that was easy in the end.
However, on entering the last auto jumble at Newark, I spotted a headlamp just like mine. It had pitted chrome, but had the correct QD socket hole, ammeter hole and the small hole for the dip switch!
Cost? £1! So I now have two. Life is strange.
Red Gauntlet

Re: Headlight G80CS

Post by Red Gauntlet »

My '65 G80CS only has an ammeter in the correct headlamp with the socket in the bottom and no dip switch, there is a weird jury rigged system going on to get high and low beams by wiring the handlebar dip switch to various contacts of the under seat light switch, yet to see if it works. It does have the original wiring loom though which is a bonus, the PO has really messed with this bike and it is slowly coming together, a love hate relationship at the moment. :(