Battery box/oil tank G80CS

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
aljobo

Post by aljobo »

This is what I originally thought before I started to imagine that the parts had been changed. How can we verify which bikes (frame numbers) actually had this mix of road and comp parts?
I still think they look odd, but don't mind preserving originality if that's the explanation for my bike. It's also the cheaper option!
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

I don't know about the ones to Australia but I've seen photos of the ones to what was then Rhodesian police. They had a CS engine in a touring chassis & were stamped "G80CSR". I do not consider these as "CS", which are motocross/scramblers nor other competition. Tje Machine Dating Officer may be able to help. Cheers, Don.
aljobo

Post by aljobo »

I still have some time in my rebuild before I have to commit to keep the status quo or make the changes to the tank, etc.
Without definitive evidence that my bike is still "correct" with the road-type equipment, I will have to change things around. If I don't, no-one will believe me when they see the bike that it's the "real thing"!
charlski

Post by charlski »

i would build it for yourself not for others ... whatever way its going to be a rad bike.
wilko

Post by wilko »

aljobo

Post by aljobo »

http://coral-springs.inetgiant.com/auto ... s-30900790
This bike (I don't know if it's correct for spec, of course), looks exactly like mine, with oil tank on the right.
I will contact the Dating service to see about the variety of machines made (Austrlian/ African export), but one thing that is worth doing, since I'm replacing the rims anyway, is fit a 21" one. There now seem to be a lot of (trials) tyres available for that diameter.
Does anyone have a dimension to give me for the footrest position measured from the centre of the long attachment bolt (It looks around 8" on mine), as the term "shorter" isn't any good on my ruler.
Thanks!
holland

Post by holland »

I have had machines brought back from both the east coast and west coast with very differant specs. i really beleive it was down to who placed the order to what was built and exported. There really is not defined spec for a CS machine, as you could have what you wanted at the time.
jh

quote:
http://coral-springs.inetgiant.com/auto ... s-30900790
This bike (I don't know if it's correct for spec, of course), looks exactly like mine, with oil tank on the right.
I will contact the Dating service to see about the variety of machines made (Austrlian/ African export), but one thing that is worth doing, since I'm replacing the rims anyway, is fit a 21" one. There now seem to be a lot of (trials) tyres available for that diameter.
Does anyone have a dimension to give me for the footrest position measured from the centre of the long attachment bolt (It looks around 8" on mine), as the term "shorter" isn't any good on my ruler.
Thanks!
mdt-son

Re: Battery box/oil tank G80CS

Post by mdt-son »

holland wrote:Don, you could in fact have a comp machine with a RH oil tank and tool box on LH side just like the stock road bike. A lot went to Africa and Australia like this.
Apparently the factory supplied SA (?) and Rhodesian police forces with 500CS models in road trim. I can understand the need for proper mudguards during the rainy season. Maybe radio gear prompted use of the roadster's tool box / battery tray ....

Knut