Battery box/oil tank G80CS

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
aljobo

Post by aljobo »

Hi - I've just acquired a bike that seems to be "wrong" in that the pictures I've seen of the G80CS have the oil tank on the left and air filter on the right. My bike, a 1960 model, has a battery box on the left and the oil tank on the right, just like the road bike.
My hope is that the early bikes had what I have on mine, but I fear something has changed in the sporting life of the bike, creating this situation...
Anyone have the definitive info on this, please?
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

Frame, engine numbers and pictures will help forum members answer your question
Sam
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

1960 G80CS frame numbers started at 9500 & only approx 500 made that year.
The engine was 497 cc 86 x 85.5 mm 4 digit engine no. compared to G80 being 498 cc 82.5 x 93mm. 6 digit engine no. So what frame and engines numbers have you got.
aljobo

Post by aljobo »

Thanks to both for the reply.
The engine number in both the green log book, and the engine (luckily), is G80CS 4080, but the chassis number which is 9801 in the log book is virtually unreadable on the frame. Someone has brutally sanded the paint, and half obliterated the numbers.
The bike last ran in the early 70's in a trial in Wales, and has been off the road since then, with one owner.
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

All G80CS/18CS & their TCS varients had the left side oil tanks from 1960-on. The tank is available from the AMOC parts service. 1960-62 had the tubular air filter mounted on the right, just below the seat, with the battery box located below it. Both are available from the North American section, along with many other CS items. 1963-up had the air filter in the pannier looking box with the battery carrier behind the cylinder. This carrier is also available from the NA section. Cheers, Don.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Has the bike an original reg. no. the numbers you quote are listed as from sept 1960, which would be the start of the 1961 model year
aljobo

Post by aljobo »

Thanks to Don for the relationship of the dates to equipment. Since the battery box and oil tank are not right, it must be that they replace items that were damaged perhaps in competition and simply replaced with the parts from the cooking road bike (?). Hopefully the frame is correct. How can this be identified?
One thing I also see (there will be more, I'm sure) is that there is no switch for the lights on the frame. Perhaps the bike was supplied without lights, and subsequently some added the headlight (with switch) and the tail-light.

Which makes me think - is there any Club member who lives in East Leicester/Peterborough/Grantham area who owns a correct machine that I could take details from?

The bike looks wrong with its "replacements", so I will seek to go back to the originals. Who is the contact within the NA group, please?

As to date of registration, the green log book says 9th December 1960.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

quote:
Who is the contact within the NA group, please?

See page 31 in Jampot mag.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

The front frame seems to be the same or very similar for all models from 1960. The rear has pillion peg mounts half way up the angled tube, not at the bottom as touring. As CS models were listed as motocross bikes the specification did not include lighting nor silincer. A lighting kit was listed as extra along with a silincer. Many or most of the CS used out here in the west were used as "Desert Sleds", & the lighting installed at the dealers since our events can be hundreds of miles long, often into the night. The light switch housing & bracket are among the many special parts available from the NA Section. Cheers, Don.
holland

Post by holland »

Don, you could in fact have a comp machine with a RH oil tank and tool box on LH side just like the stock road bike. A lot went to Africa and Australia like this.
jh

quote:
All G80CS/18CS & their TCS varients had the left side oil tanks from 1960-on. The tank is available from the AMOC parts service. 1960-62 had the tubular air filter mounted on the right, just below the seat, with the battery box located below it. Both are available from the North American section, along with many other CS items. 1963-up had the air filter in the pannier looking box with the battery carrier behind the cylinder. This carrier is also available from the NA section. Cheers, Don.