1963 G80CS Rear fixing for Seat

Information relating to the Matchless G85 500cc Heavyweight, AJS 7R, Matchless G45 and Matchless G50
jack clegg

1963 G80CS Rear fixing for Seat

Post by jack clegg »

Hello all. New member here. Just bought a G80CS. The rear seat fixings are hacked off/bodged, so I ordered a new seat from Andrew Leighton. Andrew advised me that the two fixings at the rear should line up with the tabs on the mudguard support bridge & all bolt together. They do not line up by a long chalk (too narrow). My question is, do the two rear bolts just go through the mudguard only, or are they supposed to line up with the bridge tabs, or what? Thanks in advance TTFN Jack
John Marshall
clive

Re: 1963 G80CS Rear fixing for Seat

Post by clive »

I think they go through the mudguard only, or at least they do on my G11CS
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Don Madden

Post by Don Madden »

The AMC light alloy rear mudguards do mount the rear of the seat. All genuine competition mudguards have reinforcing plates riveted on the underside at attachment points, a wide one at the rear with holes for the bridge & the seat bolts. The Armour's seats bolts are located 3/4in too far forward, missing the holes in the mudguard. Of course, Armour's told me they used info from The Club!!! Regards, Don.
jack clegg

Post by jack clegg »

Thanks for the info gents. Sounds like I will be fabricating a reinforcement plate to bolt under the guard. I presume no such part is currently available?
I saw a photo in a recent thread of a G80CS with the seat off, with two holes in the guard just where I would need mine to be to fit this seat. So that was a good clue.
Don, I did not know Armours made seats for the CS, but rather pleased I didn't now. TTFN Jack
John Marshall