G/N15 Color Schemes

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
Gerard Harrison

G/N15 Color Schemes

Post by Gerard Harrison »

I am looking at an original old vintage 1965 or 66 Matchless flier....On the top page it says You And Matchless Make A Winning Formula

Had to laugh after the latest end-cap reversal on the CSR

However I noticed the companion B&W photo on the cover is a G15CS with knobbies, long open pipes and rider raising the front wheel with light colored Tank and battery box

The bike is painted either white or yellow I suppose....certainly is not the dark that would hint at the Candy Apple Red....scrambles tank is also pin-stripedin the standard scheme

So the question becomes did the factory in fact deviate from the standard red and offer other color schemes? If so I am curious what else exactly was offered

(Yes, I have already decided my next act of self-abuse will be a CS machine)

The flier was printed by Ken Pharaoh Ltd. Dartford England

SO was this just an advertising novelty or were the bikes done up otherwise than red?Edited by - Gerard Harrison on 04 Feb 2011 10:28:24 PM
bjork

G/N15 Color Schemes

Post by bjork »

I think a factory test bike was done in silver. Maybe it was copied or lent out?
It will all be worth it in the end though. They go really well-I'm wishing I'd kept mine now
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Gerard Harrison

G/N15 Color Schemes

Post by Gerard Harrison »

Ah yes....I did not even think of Silver

now that could be a downright attractive color scheme!!

It is entirely likely that the factory produced the photos or the subject bike

for the creation of the flier
John Donne

G/N15 Color Schemes

Post by John Donne »

The first batch of 200 Norton Atlas Scramblers that were dispatched in November 1963, and stamped with G15CS/ engine numbers, were painted in Cardinal Red. This is a sort of odd period with the paint. Most or almost all of the G15CS, N15CS models were painted in a Candy Apple Red, and used either a silver of a gold base. Candy Apple Red was also used on the Norton Commando, as well as some Ducati bikes. The Candy colour can fad if left in the sun for too long, and turn yellow. Allot of the AMC factory brochures issued by Berliner used the prototype in their literature. The 1968 G15CS, and N15CS brochures show Amal Concentric carbs but the picture of the bikes show Amal Monoblocs. he pictures can not really be believed. The AJS 33CSR , and AJS Model 33 std used a Candy Blue colour.
John Donne

G/N15 Color Schemes

Post by John Donne »

There were also some Candy green painted G15CS/N15CS machines dispatched from Plumstead. There could not have been many. I remember seeing a green painted heat shield cover for the later or post 1963 oil tanks in the window of Joe Frances Motors in Eltham back in the 1970's or 1980's. There were also many G15 Mk2's painted all black.