G15CSR Swing Arm Removal?

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
Gerard Harrison

Post by Gerard Harrison »

OK

I got my tranny and plates out today, smashed thumb be damned.

Now I am hoping someone can walk me through how to get the swing arm off the frame.

The end caps are in place as is the little filler cap screw on the timing side cap. There is one stud and nut on the drive side of the main frame underneath the pivot facing forward that looks like it might have something to do with the swing arm

I have no idea where to begin getting the arm off the frame or how to extract its pivot pin.

Suggestions and guidance are welcomed and most appreciated

Regards
Gerard
bjork

Post by bjork »

Hi Gerard, that nut and stud you're looking at is actually a cotter pin. BUT! it's a cotter pin with a difference! If you do a search of these forums, you'll find plenty about it.
Don't take the nut right off, just back it off a couple of turns, then loosen the pin with a hammer and drift. Don't try to drive it out-it won't come-it'll just go tight again after moving a small amount.
So, when you've moved it a small amount, the swing arm pivot tube should easily push out. Ok, in reality it may need pressing out, depends how dry and rusty it is. When you rebuild it fill the pivot tube with oil, not grease.
You have a manual, don't you?
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Gerard Harrison

Post by Gerard Harrison »

Okay thank you Bjork...

my manual merely saves to drive out the cotter pin and press out the steel sleeve and has one crappy pen and ink illustration that shows you a pivot pin/tube coming out of the swing arm

I will go a-searching because I am still clear as mud as to whether or not that "stud/cotter" gets driven out the back of the frame or where once I back the nut off a few turns

OK update...found the tech tip here: https://www.jampot.com/article_read.asp?id=3

Cotter makes sense now...friction grip...not slot and key

spoke nipple retains the end caps...wonderful

this ought to be a real fork-in-the-eye exercise with my little pile of grease and rust

Thanks again!Edited by - Gerard Harrison on 02 Jan 2011 9:06:40 PM
John Donne

Post by John Donne »

Go to the Matchless workshop manual and this will show you how its done. Also those bushes were of the oil light design. There was an article in the Jampot a few years back, that explained exactly how to remove and replace that swinging arm spindle. Get a copy of the clubs technical book hints and tips as it is reproduced in this really informative booklet. The Norton workshop manual also has a chapter that also shows how it is done. It is the same as the other Matchless twin duplex frame models, and it is shown in all the workshop manuals of the period. Use SAE 140 oil and not EP90. This oil is very thick, to pour into the small screw hole.