Side stand spring on Matchless G15CSR

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
unedo

Post by unedo »

I am building this bike from boxes of bits and can not see where the top hook of the side stand spring hooks on to the frame or engine plates. Any help appreciated.
bjork

Post by bjork »

There should be two pairs of holes on the right hand bottom frame tube. Fitted in one pair the stand retracts itself when you lift the bike up, and using the other pair it stays in place till you push it back. They can get blocked up with muck or paint etc so you may need to poke about a bit!
Oh yes, welcome to the site!
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
unedo

Post by unedo »

unedo

Post by unedo »

Thanks for the quick reply, will have a careful look tomorrow.
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Liam, I am not sure if it is in the same place as a 1954 G3LS, but this picture may help:

http://www.ajs-matchless.com/pic_display.asp?id=493
stevie

Post by stevie »

Welcome!
There, you see, every time I read one of these I learn something.
I shall look tomorrow too!
Regards
Steve
If a man speaks in the forest and his wife is not there to hear him is he still wrong?
unedo

Post by unedo »

Thanks for these helpful replies. I have located the two sets of holes and the side stand is now working.
Interesting that there are two sets of holes to give the option of self closing or manual closing. In the past I have ridden bikes with both types of sidestand and never thought there might be the option to change how they worked. When I was a teenager, a young lad in my town was killed when he tore off with the sidestand down rounded a sharp bend, came off and slid into a brick wall. I have since then been rather careful to make sure the side stand is always up before moving off..
33CSR

Post by 33CSR »

Sounds like the spring issue has been resolved!!

I notice you have added a photo of your G15 CSR project - it looks a bit like my 33 CSR at the moment - except that yours is much shinier and is going together, whereas my bike is pretty grubby and is coming apart!!! If I can help at all during your rebuild please ask - on the other hand I may be asking you for advice!!

Good luck!!

Roger
unedo

Post by unedo »

Hi Roger
Great to know someone has a similar project going as me, - 33CSR, thats a rare bird.
My project is a bit unusual as I bought the bike in pieces with many bits missing and to make it more confusing some bits thrown in that are for other bikes. The good thing was that the engine and gearbox had been rebuilt by Norvil (although the contents of the timing case had been removed and were missing) and the frame parts had been stove enamelled. The most helpful thing I have is the parts list for Nortons and G15's etc 1965-1967 not illustrated. There are several problems or areas of doubt that I have encountered and it would be good if I could pass them by you. One I am working on at the moment is fitting the inner primary chaincase. The parts list lists a spacer between the inner case and the engine and this part was listed by Russells. I ordered it and received it and have found that although the screw holes all line up, the spacer sits rather uncomfortably on the engine, not fitting over the steps on the crankcase but just ovelapping one of them so the srews securing the inner chaincase to the engine pass through the chaincase, the spacer, then an air gap of about 1/8inch before entering the threaded hole in the crankcase. might work but it seems rather unsatisfactory.
Do please contact me if there is any thing I might be able to help you with.
I am going to make another post about Norton type wheels as I have got rather puzzled about severel points
Regards
Liam
33CSR

Post by 33CSR »