Legless spiders

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
bjork

Legless spiders

Post by bjork »

Having belted my G15 all the way back from Poland, it developed a lot of slack in the transmission and an unpredictable clutch action over the last 200 miles. I stripped it this afternoon and found the AMC clutch centre (3 leg spider bit) had sheared off all its legs/vanes. The cush rubbers had disintegrated and allowed the centre to flap about and break, but what caused the rubbers to turn to a dry powdery mess? They were new only 9000 miles (1 year) ago.

great rally though, great place too, thanks Anna and Chris Rotta and (small) team.

Steve
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
wilko

Legless spiders

Post by wilko »

Hi Bjork, i guess i'll be competing with you for the next AMC clutch on evilbay!! Cheers! Dugless
itma

Legless spiders

Post by itma »

Its the rubber they use to make pattern parts thats at fault.
The orginal stuff was a lot longer lasting. I have seen pattern rubbers dissolve in oil,/swell up in oil,/ turn to mush. often within 1000 miles or so.
I dont know what the answer to this one is.
Biscuit
Deceased

Legless spiders

Post by Biscuit »

B52.

itma

Legless spiders

Post by itma »

What....... bomb it?
bjork

Legless spiders

Post by bjork »

quote:
B52.

crikey Alan, you don't normally come up with destructive answers! Are you advocating area bombing or precision? As an engineer I suspect the latter.

Off to JSL this morning for new bits, so you don't need to worry about me on evil bay, Wilko! I want it back together sooner than that and JSL and Norvil list them as available. Btw. Club charges less than Norvil.

Ken I wondered if oil might be responsible, I have been using ATF and there seem to be two types available. Think I'll switch back to some type of engine oil. I take the point about rubber types being the most likely cause and will just have to suck the new ones and see, I suppose. (No not literally, I prefer liquorice)

G15 Roy

Legless spiders

Post by G15 Roy »

I you sure it was nothing to do with the heat that was generated when the headlamp packed up.
Roy
Biscuit
Deceased

Legless spiders

Post by Biscuit »

I recently fitted a new spider and rubbers. Trying to compress the thick 'uns to insert the thinnys the tool (clutch plate plus handle) just buckled and folded up. I cut a sliver off the thickys to get them in.

Samuel

Legless spiders

Post by Samuel »

quote:
Are you advocating area bombing or precision? As an engineer I suspect the latter.

B52 for area, Stealth for precision ?
Sam
bjork

Legless spiders

Post by bjork »

quote:
I you sure it was nothing to do with the heat that was generated when the headlamp packed up.

Hey, I didn't think of that! been re-doing the wiring today though. Think it must have been pinched, can't see any other reason as the bulb holder was so melted. Just going to fit a new one and take more care over the cable routing.