Rear Controls

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
itma

Rear Controls

Post by itma »

That bike seems to be very much a mixture.
If the tank is correct I would suggest it most likely started life as a scramble style bike, with an upswept exhaust.
I think the style of cafe racer that you are looking for was not that popular in the USA when it was new, whereas the scamble style was very much de rigeur.
Those exhausts do not look as if they are the right ones, even for swept backs.

why on earth was it registered as a Norton?
Don Madden

Rear Controls

Post by Don Madden »

That looks like a single front down tube frame. While I am not an expert on them, I think all hybrids were built in the 1964-68 era using variations of the duplex frame, although some were built late in the year & sold as 1969 model. Others were unsold until after the factory closed & carried a later year model on paper only.

Before the hybrid was introduced, Norton produced a Nomad scramber in limited numbers. It used a single down tube, non-featherbed frame. I do not have info on them so cannot say if your frame might be one.

Your bike has several modifications to equipment, while very attractive, make it hard to identify, especially as all these were made in limited numbers. If it were mine, I would build it as a special, keeping its unique character.

Cheers, Don.
Draco63

Rear Controls

Post by Draco63 »

Don,
The photos don't show it well, but this bike has the double down tube frame. It also has a new set of Amel Concentric carbs. I suspect some one droped a set of Commando pistons in the engine to up the compression ratio.

I definately plan to keep it as a unique build. I'm already working on custom fenders and custom seat mount.

itma,
I asume the registration mistake was made when the new VIN number was issued in California. Posably because of Police seizure or rebuild after a wreck. Most workers at the DMV coulden't tell a Harly from Vespa.

Eric

itma

Rear Controls

Post by itma »

"Most workers at the DMV coulden't tell a Harly from Vespa."

Obviously Califonia is where all our DVLA "experts" emigrate to then.
Don Madden

Rear Controls

Post by Don Madden »

Comparing your engine numbers with others in our North American Section registry, it falls within the 1966-67 range. The frame would have originaly had the same number stamped into the R/H side of the steering head area.

The list shows G15 & G15CS gearboxes were stamped MAxxxxG & the G15CSR, MAxxxxCSR. If your 'box is original, the numbers help to identify it.

I think you will have to adapt universal rearsets or have special ones made. You know what "universal" means, don't you? It translates to "Fits Nothing"!

Cheers, Don.
bjork

Rear Controls

Post by bjork »

I have two pictures of a G15CSR if you still want to go the cafe racer route? Tried to attach them here but couldn't work out how. If you want to see I will need your e-mail address.
BTW the ropey G15CS I refered to above is mine, all I meant was don't take that as an example of the correct spec. It's just the way I chose to (nearly) finish it!
Steve
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Draco63

Rear Controls

Post by Draco63 »

Don,
Thanks for the help. I looked on the North American Section but couldent find the registy you are refering too. I was figureing 65 from the s/n list in the British Cycle Supply Company catalogue. There list must be based manufacture dates not sale dates.

Eric
Don Madden

Rear Controls

Post by Don Madden »

The NA Section registry is known as the Member's Handbook & is purchased separately by members interested.

Besides listing all members names & contact info it lists their bikes, all cross indexed by year & type.

The information is listed only with the members prior consent. It was last published in 2006 & only general data, not specific to individuals, may be divulged.

Cheers, Don.