Rear Controls

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
TommoT

Rear Controls

Post by TommoT »

Peter's Classic Bike Parts in the Netherlands use to advertise a set for British 60ies bikes, but they are no longer on his website, but you could give him a call. Web at:

www.peterslcassicbikeparts.nl

Let me hear if you find any, I would be interested too. My body (1,90m) doesn't fit the forward mounted footrests very well on G12 CSR.
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
crawsue

Rear Controls

Post by crawsue »

Eric,given the rarity of your machine,and the fact that there doesn't appear to be a picture of one in the "Gallery" would you like to post some photographs of your's?Regards......
Hard work never killed anyone.....but why take the risk?
Biscuit
Deceased

Rear Controls

Post by Biscuit »

Photo's - (dare I say it) - search - G15.

There are 11!!Edited by - Biscuit on 01 Feb 2008 5:37:13 PM

crawsue

Rear Controls

Post by crawsue »

P.S. you have probably had a further look through the site by now and noticed that we have quite a lot of contributors from "The ex colonies" (all of them)!Many are very knowledgeable as are loads of our local "heroes".But some of the "sporty" type machines (including your model)are seldom seen in the UK as most were developed particularily for export at a time when UK Ltd.was under great stress to make some inroads to our lend lease debts to the US of A.You will also notice if you look in some depth at past posts that a fair ammount of "banter" takes place..please don't feel that you have been singled out......we have a go at all and sundry,it's our paticular British way of making you feel welcome! Check out Don Madden in the members lists,he has a wealth of experience of the marque and even more of the banter.....Crawford.
crawsue

Rear Controls

Post by crawsue »

Of course you are correct ,Alan,and a more in depth search by a regular contributor and member such as I would have uncovered them.But perhaps Eamonn,if you are reading this,you could move some of these pictures to "The Bikes"(under "club" banner) section,which was my first port of call when I read this post.....G15cs (as for many models)shows "No picture yet" when ,as Alan has just demonstrated at my expense, we have plenty.Regards etc.
Duncan

Rear Controls

Post by Duncan »

Eric

If you bike is a CS it should look something like this with scrambler styling (small tank, wide bars etc):

www.ajs-matchless.com/pic_display.asp?id=536

The CSR (pre MkII) (large tank, flat bars etc) would have been equipped with rear sets, looking at the photo this was achieved on the gear change side by reversing the gear lever and fitting a folding footrest on the sub-frame to allow use of the kickstart..

www.ajs-matchless.com/pic_display.asp?id=132

I heard somewhere that the G15CSR (pre MkII) was the only production bike to be fitted with swept back exhaust pipes as standard.

bjork

Rear Controls

Post by bjork »

If your bike is a CS, don't make it look like the one in the picture above! That tank is all wrong, so are the handle bars, the head light, the seat, the rear light, the carbs, the ignition, the air filter element, the pistons, the rocker oil feed, the footrests and even the sprockets!
Apparently, the owner is so dissatisfied he will take offers over £7,000-but be quick!
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Draco63

Rear Controls

Post by Draco63 »

quote:
Eric

If you bike is a CS it should look something like this with scrambler styling (small tank, wide bars etc):

www.ajs-matchless.com/pic_display.asp?id=536

The CSR (pre MkII) (large tank, flat bars etc) would have been equipped with rear sets, looking at the photo this was achieved on the gear change side by reversing the gear lever and fitting a folding footrest on the sub-frame to allow use of the kickstart..

www.ajs-matchless.com/pic_display.asp?id=132

I heard somewhere that the G15CSR (pre MkII) was the only production bike to be fitted with swept back exhaust pipes as standard.

I beleve my bike is a 65 pre Mk II. I am going strictly on the engine number. (G15CS/113491) Because the frame number has been replaced by a state issued VIN number and the Title Of Ownership claims that it is a 77 Norton. If the foot change is reversed there is insuficent clearence for the kick start to function properly. Transmition # (MA8425G) The rear brake pedal is to long to be used with a rearset but it has the swept back exhaust pipes. I'm beginning to think this bike has a lot of miss matched parts.
TommoT

Rear Controls

Post by TommoT »

quote:
I beleve my bike is a 65 pre Mk II. I am going strictly on the engine number. (G15CS/113491) Because the frame number has been replaced by a state issued VIN number and the Title Of Ownership claims that it is a 77 Norton. If the foot change is reversed there is insuficent clearence for the kick start to function properly. Transmition # (MA8425G) The rear brake pedal is to long to be used with a rearset but it has the swept back exhaust pipes. I'm beginning to think this bike has a lot of miss matched parts.

... as you already figured out your bike is definitely not a model 77 Norton. This can easily be ruled out since the 77 Norton was a single downtube frame design, continued even after the wideline frame was introduced. I believe it was listed from 1956/7 to 1959.
A link to a picture or a picture uploaded to this site would make identification much easier.Edited by - TommoT on 03 Feb 2008 10:57:59 AM
TommoT

Ride Your Motorcycle As If Your Life Depended On It - Cos' It Does!
Draco63

Rear Controls

Post by Draco63 »

[img]http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p299 ... 010022.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p299 ... 010023.jpg[/img]

The Title of Ownership claims that its a 1977 Norton, not a Model 77.
Sorry for the confusion Tommot.