G15CS Identification Help Please

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
T-bone Williams

G15CS Identification Help Please

Post by T-bone Williams »

Howdy to everyone!

I recently posted this information under the General Topics Section along with an introduction of myself. I had some responses and was grateful for the information that some of the members have provided me so far, but, I was hoping for some more specific information as to exactly what my hybrid G15CS is and exactly when it was manufactured.

So, I have always lusted after a Norton/Matchless hybrid from which to build a road-worthy, flattrack, Norton-based bike. Well, I am now in the process of buying exactly that. Problem is, I'm not sure exactly what I am getting. The engine number is G15CS 123591 and the frame is stamped vertically on the left down tube beneath the steering stem 123591 and the Missouri Title says 1968 Norton with a VIN on the Title of 123591. So far so good. However, when I go to look at G15CS bikes on the web, I get a lot of different information. Is it an early G15CS or a late G15CS? Should it have rubber gaiters instead of the steel fork covers? Is it a Matchless or a Norton, and is the year on the title correct?

I have been researching this for more than a week now. This bike, although it has had the back frame altered significantly by a previous owner to be a "bobber" style, does appear to be mostly original. To my eyes, the forks, front frame, swingarm, engine, tranny, and wheels look to be all from the same original bike. The tank and seat have been changed. And of course, the rear frame has been significantly altered. The alteration is what is keeping me from being able to identify it as either an N15CS or G15CS and to verify the year.

Some added info, this bike does have a magneto (not sure if it is competition or not). It also has the steel fork covers and headlight ears. And it also has folding foot pegs. It appears to have the longer roadholder fork as well.

I will try to post pics in my next post to help with identification. Any and all help will be very much appreciated. Remember, my plans are not to restore this bike to stock, but to make a really fun, custom, flattrack-oriented scrambler out of it for my needs. The bike runs great, but smokes, so I will be at least tearing into the top end, if not committing to a complete rebuild.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Terry Williams
Linwood, KS
MVIMG_20180128_173725.jpg
MVIMG_20180128_173734.jpg
MVIMG_20180128_173738.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
T-bone Williams

Re: G15CS Identification Help Please

MVIMG_20180128_173748.jpg
MVIMG_20180128_173802.jpg
MVIMG_20180128_173806.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
T-bone Williams

MVIMG_20180128_173813.jpg
IMG_1120.jpg
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Contact the club dating officer............ALL will be revealed!
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Why are you asking the same questions again ? You had many answers to your first post if you want the factory record then you need to apply for a dating certificate.
Roy
T-bone Williams

I posted the same information into the G15 section in hopes that guys who might own or be more in tune with the year to year nuances of these EXACT models, may be able to answer some of the questions I still have lingering.

These questions would be:

1) If it was made in 1967 or 1968 like others have suggested, should it have the metal fork shrouds?

2) Again, if it was made in 1967 or 1968 like others suggested, should it have a magneto ignition?

From all that I have read, and I have been reading a lot this week, if it was indeed a 1967 or 1968 model, it would have rubber gaiters and points/coil ignintion. So this is still confusing to me and I am simply trying to clear it up so that I know EXACTLY what I have.

I was admittedly given a lot of information about the bike in my General Information post, but I still have questions.

Is it so wrong that I asked them here as well?
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Not at all, But ONLY getting the bike dated properly will help you.... it doesn't cost the earth and will be useful to know.
T-bone Williams

Alright then, I will do that. Thanks again for your help. I really do appreciate it.

Terry
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Once you know what model year it is all your queries will be answered by looking at period adverts in 'Promotional' pages on http://archives.jampot.dk/
clive

Post by clive »

Well it's difficult to find a new thread basically asking for the same information yet apparently you have not applied for the dating information which would be an important starting point. To tell EXACTLY what you have got you need to start with what the factory records say about it. If they don't have anything to say then I would have more sympathy.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix