A plan for a G15CSR?

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
G15112

A plan for a G15CSR?

Post by G15112 »

Hi everyone.

I'm new to this forum and am hopefully doing the right thing by starting a new post.

I am now the very excited owner of a 1965 G15CSR Frame number 112###. I've build a few British twins in the past, mainly from rusty basket cases but last year I sold my precious Sunbeam S7 in favour of a servo assisted, ABSed, electric starting and mobilised BMW R1150GS Adventure. My mate and I planned to do a bit of touring and he already had a GS. But I miss the sound of spanners and the smell of oil so I went in search of a project bike that was special enough to challenge me and keep me interested. I found a recently imported G15CSR and bought it. Now I need a plan.

Hopefully I'll be able to attach some pics after I've typed this so that you can see what I am dealing with.

It is all original (as far as I can tell).
6V K2 Magneto
Dunlop rims
Original faded paint
Frame a little rusty
Chrome a little rustier!
Original Pipes
No Seat
No silencers

Given that my previous bikes have been basket cases and consequently needed a complete restoration (paint, chrome, powder coating and zinc) I now have a dilemma as to what to do with this G15. I guess I am asking for opinions, what would you do with it?

How far should my restoration work go?

I am planning on a complete overhaul of the mechanics and electrics but as far as the finish goes I really don't know what to do.

I will do
12V conversion
Superblend
Engine overhaul
Electronic VR
Progressive fork springs
Hagon rear shocks
Armours silencers

Rechrome?
Repaint the frame?
Rechrome the tank?
Repaint the tank and side panels?

I would overmuch welcome your advise and opinion.

Ok, now for the photos!

Regards

Lewis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by G15112 on Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
saltbox alf
Deceased

Re: A plan for a G15CSR?

Post by saltbox alf »

Hello and welcome Lewis, fair list to go through, but as you have some experience with basket cases, the same principals apply.

I would go for the full engine strip down first, as it's not running I presume ??
The reality is often decided by A, how deep are your pockets , B, do you want a rusty relic or fair condition runner and C, just like the factory finish.

For myself I would replace, paint and recondition any parts that are suspect, mechanical or frame items. what is sound I would leave as is and create a working bike with it's history reflected in the look.

I would also advise joining the club as you only get 90 days as a guest on forum and I am sure questions will pop up for quite a while, there are a lot of subtle differences in year and models which take time to appreciate. there are some very knowledgable chaps in this club re your model bike.
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
G15112

Post by G15112 »

Hi Saltbox alf

Thanks for the response.

I am in agreement. I have just come in from the shed after spending all day with the bike, my son, WD40 and some spanners (heavenly) and the fame paint isn't as good as i'd anticipated so it is going to need a complete rebuild. I'll probably keep the tank and the outer panels as 'patina' but the oil tank and battery box are looking tired. I'll post some pics as I go as advise/opinions is very helpful.

I do have two missing components that are quite important - the seat and the silencers. Both seem to be special to the CSR (?). Can you offer any help here? Is the seat a special - where can I get one from. What are the exhaust pipes. I am comparing black and white pictures from my Roy Bacon Norton Twin Restoration with the Armours website and don't seem to be able to find a match.

Have you got any pics of your CSR on the forum?

Tomorrow I'll join the club.

Great to chat!

Lewis
uktom77

Post by uktom77 »

Seat - Leightons and. Exhaust - armours. Both very helpful. Don't have the contact details to hand but either google them or them may be in the 'recommendations' section.
G15112

Post by G15112 »

Thanks uktom. Both very helpful and both sorted me out.

My next question is abou tyres. I have WM2 and WM3 both 18" and I have no reason to suspect that they are not the original. They have some very light rust so I'm taking them for rechroming tomorrow.

I'm currently looking about ribbed front and block rear K70s. I've just picked up a review from a 1965 Motorcycle mag and it says that the sizes would have been 3.25 and 3.5 but they also state that they should be 19" rims.

Personally I like front and rear K82 but I suspect that these are a bit too 'butch' for the bike and the ribbed front would be more in keeping.

Any knowledge or advise would be great fully received.

I promise to post picks tomorrow!

Thanks
Samuel

Post by Samuel »

If you are going to ride it as opposed to look at it put Avon Roadriders on it
Sam
Reynard24

Post by Reynard24 »

I would also fit Avon Roadriders - they are a brilliant tyre. I'd also change to 19" rims. My '65 G15 now has them after riding my brother's very late G15CSR which had them as standard. I find the steering much better with the bigger rims.
G15112

Post by G15112 »

Thanks for the lead on tyres and rims. I'll look a little more deeply into it.

I'm stripping down the forks at the moment. Does anyone know how to remove the lower fork shrouds. The tall chrome ones attached to the fork bottoms. I can't see any circlips inside so presume that they just unscrew? Any advise would be good.

Thanks
Ron Leese

Post by Ron Leese »

I have a 67 what a sexy motor!
Ron Leese
G15112

Post by G15112 »

Hi, things are moving on. Engine out of the frame, wheels stripped and new spokes ordered and a collection of black painted components to go to the stove enamellers. I'm waiting to get a grip wrench to remove the dust covers so that I can rebuild the forks.

If possible could you offer me some more advise? I have come across a couple of issues that you might be able to help me with.

1/ where can I get stainless steel engine mounting kit from?
2/ Side stand - what did it look like. Mine has lost its 'hook' and I'd like to get one welded back on before I enamel.
3/ Would a CSR have had a centre stand? Mine has the spring clip to hold it up but not the stand.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.