What is wrong here ?

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
Ron Leese

What is wrong here ?

Post by Ron Leese »

Hi Group

This is what i have for steering stops on my 1967 G15CSR???
Steering Posts 2.jpg
Steering post stops 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ron Leese
John Jarrett

Re: What is wrong here ?

Post by John Jarrett »

I had a similar problem with a 1965 model 18 and was considering the "Heath Robinson" design you appear to have. While the photos are small and difficult to see it looks like you have the correct Norton forks, but that either the fork stops on the frame have been removed (the problem I had) or the front frame is an earlier AMC twin downtube frame that didn't have the same fork stop arrangement.
Kind regards,
John
Ron Leese

Post by Ron Leese »

John
Was there no stops on the 1967? Seems that 2 bolts locked in place with nuts wasn't stock?
Ron
Ron Leese
John Jarrett

Post by John Jarrett »

Ron,

There should be fork stops cast into the frame for any Norton forked AMC "hybrid" model. In 1967 I think the only models that wouldn't have had a fork stop cast in the frame are the remaining AMC teledraulic forked models, being the G80CS.... the G85CS and P11 had a different frame and I have no knowledge of the arrangement on that frame.

I have attached 2 pictures to show what the fork stops should look like.
IMG_1999a.jpg
IMG_2001a.jpg
The most obvious way of telling (that I know of... there may be others) whether you have a Norton forked front frame (and the stops have been removed) or a frame designed for the AMC teledraulic forks are the recesses in the frame headstock for the top and bottom fork crown races. In the Norton forked frame they are a right angle section where in the frame designed for the AMC teledraulic forms they form a concave section to "self centre" the races.

Good luck.
Kind regards,
John
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ron Leese

Post by Ron Leese »

Hi
Yes I see the pictures! Wow still not sure what to think of this? I Guess not much I can do.
Ron
Ron Leese