G15CS rear hub

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
Peter Morris

G15CS rear hub

Post by Peter Morris »

Hi All,

Does anyone know torque setting for the sleeve nuts that hold the brake drum onto the rear hub (Norton) please? Mine has come loose for the third time in around a thousand miles since a complete rebuild by the previous owner.

Mine also has weird homemade washers between the hub and drum. I have looked at exploded diagrams on the net and in books I have and not seen any washers, nor any listed in the parts books. I wonder why the previous owner went to the trouble of making them????

I have tried using Loctite on the sleeve nuts to no avail.

Also, following the rear tyre spinning round the rim and ripping the valve off the inner tube on Sunday, does anyone have an idea of tyre pressures please?

Think that's about it.

Thanks
Peter
iansoady

Re: G15CS rear hub

Post by iansoady »

Those sleeve nuts are notorious for coming loose on Nortons. The problem is that once they loosen a bit they fret the tapers in the hub so never tighten down properly after that. The studs can also come slightly loose in the brake drum.

There should be no washers and this won't help as the hub should be tight up against the drum. Maybe someone was trying to "adjust" chain alignment? Or maybe the stud threads have been damaged?
Ian
1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Thanks Ian,

I guess it's new sleeve nuts and studs then. Another trip to see the Guru that is Les at Russell Motors. Can you actually change the studs? As far as I can see there are no studs listed in the spares list.

The washers are strange home made things that resemble a number 6 with 2 tails. The studs on the drum have the same pattern raised around them. The washers are very thin (approx 40 thou) so I don't think they are for wheel alignment purposes.

Was there ever any thing like torque settings from the factory? I did them up what I considered very tightly......I guess not tight enough!

Is there anything better than Loctite available?

Peter
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

The studs were only available as part of the rear drum & sprocket assembly.
Thread is given as 26tpi so presumably BSC?
Sleeve nuts - 18233 are still available from Norton parts stockists.
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Thanks Stuart
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

Stuoyb wrote:The studs were only available as part of the rear drum & sprocket assembly.
Thread is given as 26tpi so presumably BSC?
Sleeve nuts - 18233 are still available from Norton parts stockists.
You know so much do you have a G15 ;)
Roy
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

[quote=G15 Roy. "You know so much do you have a G15 ")[/quote]

I've got a parts list and a growing pile of bits that used to resemble one :rofl:
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

The washers are the same shape as the raised sections around the holes in the hub, not on the drum as I stated earlier. Can't think why he'd go to the trouble of making them??????
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

So, it's me again.....

I have dismantled the drum/hub assy and found that the studs are indeed loose in the drum. Popped in to see Les at Russells (Luckily for me my job has me driving past there several times a week.....(He's probably fed up with
me too ;) ) and he confirmed what Stuart said, they always come loose. He also said there are 2 different thread sleeve nuts available according to age and that although the studs were not sold separately, He has some in stock, so if anyone needs some.....

As well as the loose studs, I also found that the drum is badly scored so a new one of them is going to have to be found, More expense!

Still wondering about these weird washers (please see attached pic) I cannot think why he bothered to make them. The base (?) of one of the studs, when they are all flush inside the drum, stands more proud on the outside than the other 2 (another pic attached. You may have to click on the pic to open the rest of it up, I do)....Maybe the reason for the washers???

Regards
Peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Peter Morris on Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Washers