Help me identify my Matchless

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
adamwinters88

Help me identify my Matchless

Post by adamwinters88 »

I bought this from kentucky and the guy had it sitting behind his house. He sold it to me thinking it was a norton but I believe its a matchless g15. He said it use to be black and missing some parts which I am looking to buy to fully restore this.

Link of pictures

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Norton-/1417045 ... RK:MESE:IT

I listed it on ebay with a reserve that will never be met because I was hoping to find more information on it. I am trying to find the original style gas tank, gauges and headlamp and etc. Any information you can tell me about it I would greatly appreciate it.

frame number
engine
g15 m2/119967
JEAN-NOEL

Re: Help me identify my Matchless

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

Yes, it needs cosmetics ! No problem to find some items, like gauges, hedlamp shell, shocks... But pear shape tool boxes are as hen teeth , So the suitable fuel tank Iron John made improved tool boxes but for at least 600 Canadian $.
Good luck for your restoration project.
bjork

Post by bjork »

That's a novel way to get information! What if it does sell? I might risk a punt on that, if Roy doesn't beat me to it or gazump me.

The bike looks to me to be a G15mk2. They had the deep valance mudguards/fenders and I've seen that sissy bar on pics of other mk2 bikes. One plus point is that these had the large touring bike tanks, as on the AMC 650s, so whilst still not cheap are at least easier to find.

Quick rub down with an oily rag, make good etc. you could have that on the road soon enough. Well Roy would anyhow. :)
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

G15 is a Matchless model, if it were a Norton engine number would start with N15
adamwinters88

Post by adamwinters88 »

I have a very high reserve on it that it will never hit. I am in love with it and can't wait to start on it. Also were the parts powdercoated from the factory like the frame and etc. I want to make sure it looks exactly as it did from the factory. I talked the guy down to $400usd for this and think it is fairly a neat machine. I am already stocking up on parts and once I get them all, it will be rebuilt. I would prefer to take the motor off and send it to someone to have them rebuild it and polish it. Is there anyone that is affordable and good in the usa.

BTW I am going to have them do the dating certification for me

Spoke with county clerk and filing for lost title and should have one within 6 to 8 weeks.
bjork

Post by bjork »

Frame etc would have been enamelled. Powder coating can have disadvantages but it's personal choice like tyres too. When I have built bikes with powder coating it is so thick and hard to remove from places it isn't needed, its a proper pita. A good paint job is my preference now, but your choice! Sounds a real bargain at 400 USD as well!
Using yesterdays technology to create tomorrows problems today
adamwinters88

Post by adamwinters88 »

any idea of the gas tank. They are so many different style and afraid to buy the wrong one. The original owner said it use to be black but I want to make sure I buy the right gas tank. Start restoration next week.
hwilkinson

Post by hwilkinson »

This is a link to an earlier discussion. Think this is what your tank should look like.

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... 1&start=10

Your bike looks like it has been "modified" to take a BSA or Triumph tank? should have just the 2 front mountings, which you have, and a rubber band at the back hooked over 2 buttons at the rear.

Good luck.

There is a quite detailed artical in the Norton Owners club website with history on these hybrids. google G15 hybrids.

Harry