Matchless chopper barn find

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
ecose

Matchless chopper barn find

Post by ecose »

Hi guys, just thought i would show you what i found, its been off the road since the late 70,sit was in Ontario but has been here in B.C. since 1980
engine and frame # G15 CSR 113381
gearbox # MA8294 CSR
frame has not been altered, just another rear section bolted on, must be from a brit bike as it looks like a straight bolt on, no mods
wheels/brakes fork lowers stock i think

robcurrie

Re: Matchless chopper barn find

Post by robcurrie »

I think the response you will get from the majority here will be to put it back in the barn and lock the door. ;)

Rob C
Janet

Post by Janet »

My guess is this was done by someone who wanted be like the characters in Easy Rider. It has no appeal for me but each to his own.
REW

Post by REW »

Angles between engine and frame rails look all wrong, even allowing for the extended stanchions. However, there is a potentially good engine and gearbox in there, not to mention fork lowers etc. Sorted it would at least be interesting...
Ron

1951 Matchless G3L thumping round the Durham Dales.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Interesting. Thanks.

BTW Kevin - Did you get the footpegs on the basket case G9 fitted o.k? It seems we never heard from you after your first post requesting help back in Feb.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

The timing cover looks like Commando which makes the engine look wrong in the frame. I think it is ok in the frame. Chaincase is also Commando. Rear frame looks like BSA, rear wheel also. Perhaps someone will recognise it. You may be able to sell all the odd bits to help fund the project. You're going to need quite a lot of parts. I suspect you're going to get to know Mike Partridge at Waldridge Motors very well!
Cheers Dave.
ecose

Post by ecose »

first of all i should make it clear i didnt buy the bike cause i like choppers , i knew it was G15 CRS based and had to rescue it, Spiddler, yes footrests fitted ok after the help from on here, thank you all, apologies if i forgot to mention it, busy getting caught up in the bikes
i think the chopper should be put back to the cafe racer it once was, i would need a rear frame section, timing cover, fork stanchions, tank and seat, gauges etc
what type of rear wheel should it have
if anyone has any parts please let me know, i deal a lot with Mike at Walridges as it is with all by bikes
i also found 2 Matchless engines in a shed,
G2 250 motor complete and a G80 S complete with gearbox, dynamo and magneto all still in the frame that was cut in half
3 AJS frames, 2 engines, 3 gearboxes, tinware and wheels and a dynamo and regulator brand new still in their boxes
im running out of room ill have to start storing them under the bed
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

I have plenty of room under my bed :D :D :D :D
only dead fish go with the flow
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

ecose wrote: Spriddler, yes footrests fitted ok after the help from on here, thank you all, apologies if i forgot to mention it, busy getting caught up in the bikes
Understood Kevin, but it's good to share solutions (if it's an uncommon problem) as that's where the value of this website resource lies. I guess in your case the solution was pretty straightforward.

Always room for bike stuff - your find sounds like a very interesting collection.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
dave16mct

Post by dave16mct »

Rear wheel will be a Norton full width to match the front.