G15 Candy Apple Red

Information relating to the Matchless G15 or AJS Model 33 750cc twin. This also includes the G15 Mk II and the G15/45
Peter Morris

G15 Candy Apple Red

Post by Peter Morris »

Hi,
Does anyone know of a modern equivalent of Candy Apple Red paint please?

Also any recommendations for,
Tank/tinware painting/restoration
Powder coating
Chroming
in the london/Surrey areas please.

I have had all of the above done on previous projects before but have in the main been disappointed with the results.

Thanks,
Peter
JEAN-NOEL

Re: G15 Candy Apple Red

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

I think you can ask to G.D. DESIGN (you can see his adverts in Jampot Magazine).
You can also search on this forum "CANDY APPLE RED", and technical topics.
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

in technical articles : Colours, and Paint codes.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Peter Morris wrote: I have had all of the above done on previous projects before but have in the main been disappointed with the results.
This is always the risk when recommending services, Peter. Experiences with spraying, chroming etc. are subjective; one man's satisfaction can be another's disappointment.
Hopefully someone will venture to stick their head above the parapet ;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Peter Morris

Post by Peter Morris »

Thanks Guys,

I Looked up paint codes in the tech section.... I am a new (returning) member and have not used this forum before.

Regarding services, I am not particularly fussy, just want a decent job done. For my last project a 61 G3 I had the original Dunlop rims chromed and they rusted and lifted the chrome off all too quickly, annoying to say the least after paying for wheelbuilding....just want to avoid that again.

Peter
g80csp11

Post by g80csp11 »

lots of different opinion on the mix , here is one printed a while ago :
Candy Apple Red, as used on the late G80CS and other Matchless and Norton of the same vintage, can be matched using PPG Deltron, code # DBU72939. Quoting Dave Campbell: "There is no metallic in this topcoat. The metallic is in the base coat of a medium silver. Follow this with 8-10 thin coats of the PPG red and you will have an identical color match of the original paint from Plumstead".
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

Welcome back Pete, the problem with rechroming rims is that all the rust cannot be removed , a residue will stay at the base of the spoke piercings and on the flanges/rolled edges of the rim. I think you have to look on rims as consumables, all be it over a long period of time!
Most plating firms don't like to do rims or silencers any more .
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I wasn't suggesting that you're fussy Peter :oops: I too have had mixed results with work done by the same guy (not yours) but on different occasions.
There are many recommendations for chroming (about 10 firms) and spraying in the 'Recommendations' section here:
http://www.ajs-matchless.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=10
As Alf says, since the finish depends much upon the condition of the items to be chromed (and we are dealing with a one-off rather than a production line process) it's possible that the finished results from the same company can vary in quality from item to item.
(Three Sussex section members have G80CS bikes with Candy Apple Red tanks. Simply gorgeous!)
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
JEAN-NOEL

Post by JEAN-NOEL »

For rims, I think the best way is ta have them brand new, in British Chrome, or SS. CENTRAL WHEEL in Coleshill provide an extensive service : wheelbuilding, hubs vaporblasted, tyres fitted and balanced, ready to ride !